RE: [linux-dell-laptops] How to non-destructively partion an 18 g b HD on I7500?

  • Ryan Hobus
    Message 1 of 1 , May 18, 2000
      >FIPS v. 2.0 is the tool you need. I'm not sure what you mean by the "ZZ
      factory
      >image." Is that for use by the "suspend/hibernate" feature? If so, then I
      know
      >of no tool that will do that for you. After I installed Debian, I got an
      error
      >message on the bootup from the BIOS about something like that. It points
      you to
      >their web site. There's probably a way to restore it, using the new disk
      >geometry...I just haven't taken the time to look into it, for it isn't
      mission
      >critical for my use of the machine. YMMV, of course.

      the "ZZ Factory Image" referred to here is a small dos utility called zztop
      (zztop.bat or zz.exe) it is usually a hidden file located on the root of the
      c: drive accessible under dos/win. It is a factory restore program, run it
      and it images your hard drive back to what the drive looked like after
      leaving the factory. It has a hidden image file associated with it, so if
      you fill the hard drive, the image will be overwritten. What I did I used
      Drive Image 4.0, made a image of the windows drive and sleep swap partition,
      reformatted and partitioned the drive with fdisk, (went from 18 gig to 4 gig
      Win partition) then imaged back the windows and sleep partition. In theory,
      I should have preserved the zztop+image, but I havent tested it. I used to
      work in the IT department at my company, and that zztop program saved my
      butt a few times. (Because it contains ALL the correct drivers for the
      notebook under Win) I would HIGHLY recommend preserving it, because once it
      is gone, it is gone for good. (Dell cant get it back for you)

      My 2 cents,
      Ryan