Re: [linux-dell-laptops] Re: Problem w/ SuSE 7.1 on I8000

  • hadig@slac.stanford.edu
    Message 1 of 6 , Aug 28, 2001

      answer see below...

      > --- In linux-dell-laptops@y..., hadig@s... wrote:
      > > Hi again,
      > >
      > > addition to my previous posting:
      > >
      > > You will find the XFconfig for SuSE 7.2, Geforce2 Go, 1400x1050 on
      > > http://www.the-one-brack.org/notebook/
      > >

      > Thanks a million Thomas -- I finally got it to work (after about five
      > days and six installs!) Here are the steps to be followed in case
      > anyone else is using the same configuration (Dell Inspiron 8000,
      > GeForce2 Go, 1400x1050 SXGA+ screen, SuSE Linux 7.1):
      >
      > 1/ Don't configure X during YaST2 setup
      > 2/ From the command line, run /usr/bin/X11/switch2xf86-4 to change
      > default X from 3.xx to 4.xx
      > 3/ Install Nvidia drivers
      > rpm -Uhv (GLX file) --nodeps --force
      > rpm -Uhv (Kernel file) --force
      > 4/ Add
      > options NVdriver NVreg_Mobile=1
      > to /etc/modules.conf
      > 5/ Copy XF86Config file located at
      > http://www.the-one-brack.org/notebook/XF86Config.example to both
      > /etc/X11 and /etc
      > 6/ Run sax2 -m 0=nvidia and configure X graphically
      > 7/ Reboot and run startx
      >
      > Hopefully this will help someone else out there get up and running a
      > lot faster than I did!
      >
      > One more question: how do I default to the graphical login??

      You need to start up xdm. You have to do several steps:
      - go to init level 5
      This can be done by hand with saying: init 5
      At startup, the line id:#: in /etc/inittab defines the level.
      - This should normally start xdm automatically, therefore, you need
      the two links:
      lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 6 Jun 5 12:09 /etc/rc.d/rc5.d/S10xdm -> ../xdm
      lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 6 Jun 5 12:09 /etc/rc.d/rc5.d/K12xdm -> ../xdm

      The file /etc/rc.d/xdm should exists .... otherwise you need to install the
      xdm package.
      - You can select the displaymanager in /etc/rc.config in the section:
      #
      # Here you can set the default Display manager (kdm/xdm/gdm/wdm/console).
      # Attention: CHECK_INITTAB has to be set to yes, to activate this feature.
      # If DISPLAYMANAGER is set to console, SuSEconfig will not bother you
      # with a missing XF86Config.
      #
      DISPLAYMANAGER="gdm"

      hope that all.

      > Thanks once again,
      >
      > Shane

      Ciao
      Thomas

      Thomas Hadig MS 62, 2575 Sand Hill Road, Menlo Park CA 94025, USA
      hadig@... Tel.: +1 650 926 2810
      http://www.slac.stanford.edu/~hadig/
      In a world without walls and fences, who needs windows and gates ?