NetGear FA410TX PCMCIA to ADSL Modem

  • rgstern@yahoo.com
    Message 1 of 1 , May 8, 2000

      I am having trouble getting my PCMCIA ethernet card (NetGear FA410TX)
      to talk to my ADSL Modem (Alcatel 1000 ADSL). I am using BellSouth
      as my ISP and as far as I can tell from the way Windows 98 is
      configured, they use DHCP. I didn't realize that at first so I spent
      a lot of time trying to get my eth0 device configured with a static
      IP address (I get the same IP every with every lease anyway) and get
      the routing table built. I could never ping anything besides
      127.0.0.1 and my own IP address. I read with interest the posts about
      the eth0 device "waking up" but I have left it pinging for a long time
      (15 minutes) and it never did. Based on what info I had about my IP
      address and the default gateway and the netmask, I couldn't figure
      out what the problem was.

      In all of my attempts, I have never seen the "Link/Act" light on the
      RJ-45 adapter cable flicker to indicate *any* activity, like it does
      from the get go during a Windows boot.

      Now I'm trying to get dhcpxd to work, but it doesn't cause any
      activity either -- just keeps indicating that it is attempting to
      contact a DHCP server by printing "DHCPDISCOVER" three times,
      sleeping for 60 seconds, and then trying again.

      I'm running Red Hat 6.2 with kernel 2.2.14. lsmod indicates all the
      pcmcia drivers are loaded right.

      Would anyone be so kind as to give me advice or if they are using
      this particular ADSL modem or ethernet card perhaps share their
      experiences?

      Thanks!