Installing Linksys EtherFast 10/100 LANmodem 56K

  • jaylat@freewwweb.com
    Message 1 of 1 , May 8, 2000
      Hi Everyone,

      I've sent a couple of msgs to this group asking for help getting this
      pc card installed on my computer, and I just wanted to say thank you
      to all who helped me out. It was a long and frustrating 3 weeks but;

      I DID IT!!!! ;-)

      And now I would like to pass on a few things I learned during my
      ordeal so some other poor newbie doesn't have to go through the same
      thing. I'm running a Dell Insiron 7000 with the Mandrake 7.0 distro
      dual boot with win98.

      1. DO NOT buy this card or anything else from Linksys for that matter.
      They claim in their advertising and on the box that they support
      Linux. THEY DON'T!!! Just try sending an email to their support ppl
      asking a Linux question and see what you get back. They have a one
      paragraph Linux support page for this card on their site and it's
      mostly wrong.

      So, if you got taken in as I did and you did buy this card here is how
      I finally got it to work on my system.

      Go into the BIOS and turn OFF the serial ports and the modem ports.
      This is the one that got me. I changed them from Auto to Customized
      and back again a half a dozen times but I never thought to turn them
      off completely.

      Then add the following to /etc/pcmcia/config:

      card "Linksys EtherFast LANmodem 56K"
      version "Linksys", "EtherFast 10&100 + 56K PC Card (PCMLM56)"
      bind "pcnet_cs", "serial_cs"

      Reboot the system and from the command line run this script:

      for device in /dev/ttyS[0-9]; do clear; echo $device; sleep 2; echo
      "ATDT" >> $device; done

      This will loop through the ttyS devices. Look for the lights to flash
      on the modem side of the card and note which ttyS device it was on
      when they did flash.
      This script is only supposed to allow the user to figure out which
      serial port the card is using but in my case KPPP could not connect to
      the modem until after I ran it. I would get "Sorry, Modem is busy"
      when I would query the modem but as soon as I ran this script KPPP
      found my modem and and I had no more problems with it.

      By the way ignore the part on the Linksys page were it says you must
      recompile the kernel. As long as your distro comes with PCMCIA
      services 3.0.9 or later you don't have to do it.

      Well I hope this helps someone, now it's on to configuring the network
      and then IP Masquerade and this machine will be set... Only two more
      to go and my little home network will be M$ free ;-)