Re: XF86Config on Latitude CPx J650GT -> Now Inspiron 5000

  • Keith E. Brandt, M.D.
    Message 1 of 3 , May 4, 2000
      >The newer version, i75olnx2.rpm, has extra lines it to allow you to use
      ><CTL><ALT><KEYPAD+> to toggle the resolution. However, there only two
      >resolutions in the XF86Config file, and they are both identical. This
      >effectively resyncs the monitor resolution. Dell suggests this be used to
      >resync the monitor when it goes into never-never land after a
      >suspend/resume. If you haven't alredy done so, try this with your docking
      >station problem and see if it works.

      I've had similar fun with a new Inspiron 5000. I've looked at 2 or 3 sites
      that have XF86Config files and none seem to work - I get the out-of-sync
      appearing video.

      Anyone successfully running XFree86 on the 5000 that can give me a hand?

      I'm using Red Hat 6.1.

      Keith
    • myl@unagi.cis.upenn.edu
      Message 2 of 3 , May 12, 2000
        --- In linux-dell-laptops@egroups.com, "Keith E. Brandt, M.D."
        <wd9get@a...> wrote:

        > I've had similar fun with a new Inspiron 5000. I've looked at 2 or
        3
        sites
        > that have XF86Config files and none seem to work - I get the
        out-of-sync
        > appearing video.
        >
        > Anyone successfully running XFree86 on the 5000 that can give me a
        hand?

        > I'm using Red Hat 6.1.
        >
        > Keith

        With Red Hat 6.2 and a Latitude CPx-H 500, I found that the video
        worked properly if Xconfigurator was told that the monitor was an LCD
        at 1024 x 768. Anything else (including 800 x 600, and lower
        resolutions as well) produced screen snow and a locked up machine.

        The resulting XF86Config file had the pointing device wrong, though
        --
        it cited a Microsoft mouse and /dev/mouse. I edited the file by hand
        to change it to PS/2 and /dev/psaux, and everything worked.