Re: [linux-dell-laptops] XF86Config on Latitude CPx J650GT

  • Charles W Roland
    Message 1 of 3 , May 4, 2000
      The newer version, i75olnx2.rpm, has extra lines it to allow you to use
      <CTL><ALT><KEYPAD+> to toggle the resolution. However, there only two
      resolutions in the XF86Config file, and they are both identical. This
      effectively resyncs the monitor resolution. Dell suggests this be used to
      resync the monitor when it goes into never-never land after a
      suspend/resume. If you haven't alredy done so, try this with your docking
      station problem and see if it works.

      peterm@... wrote:

      > Hi
      >
      > Just received my new Latitude J650GT, loaded the Redhat 6.2
      > without problem... Except running X on the LCD. If I run
      > it from the Docking station to a SGI monitor, I got no problem.
      >
      > I've tried to use XF86Config files from the Dell Support page
      > i75olnx2.rpm for redhat 6.2
      > i75olnxf.rpm for redhat 6.1
      >
      > Their are very alike, only some modeline naming diffs
      >
      > The screen appear to have no sync at all, and sometime
      > even when jumping to a virtual console (CTRL-ALT-F1) it
      > loses it sync and only a reboot seems to clear it.
      >
      > Anybody got any ideas ?!?
      >
      > Thanks,
      >
      > /Peter

      > eGroups eLerts
    • Keith E. Brandt, M.D.
      Message 2 of 3 , May 4, 2000
        >The newer version, i75olnx2.rpm, has extra lines it to allow you to use
        ><CTL><ALT><KEYPAD+> to toggle the resolution. However, there only two
        >resolutions in the XF86Config file, and they are both identical. This
        >effectively resyncs the monitor resolution. Dell suggests this be used to
        >resync the monitor when it goes into never-never land after a
        >suspend/resume. If you haven't alredy done so, try this with your docking
        >station problem and see if it works.

        I've had similar fun with a new Inspiron 5000. I've looked at 2 or 3 sites
        that have XF86Config files and none seem to work - I get the out-of-sync
        appearing video.

        Anyone successfully running XFree86 on the 5000 that can give me a hand?

        I'm using Red Hat 6.1.

        Keith
      • myl@unagi.cis.upenn.edu
        Message 3 of 3 , May 12, 2000
          --- In linux-dell-laptops@egroups.com, "Keith E. Brandt, M.D."
          <wd9get@a...> wrote:

          > I've had similar fun with a new Inspiron 5000. I've looked at 2 or
          3
          sites
          > that have XF86Config files and none seem to work - I get the
          out-of-sync
          > appearing video.
          >
          > Anyone successfully running XFree86 on the 5000 that can give me a
          hand?

          > I'm using Red Hat 6.1.
          >
          > Keith

          With Red Hat 6.2 and a Latitude CPx-H 500, I found that the video
          worked properly if Xconfigurator was told that the monitor was an LCD
          at 1024 x 768. Anything else (including 800 x 600, and lower
          resolutions as well) produced screen snow and a locked up machine.

          The resulting XF86Config file had the pointing device wrong, though
          --
          it cited a Microsoft mouse and /dev/mouse. I edited the file by hand
          to change it to PS/2 and /dev/psaux, and everything worked.