Re: [linux-dell-laptops] APM and Suspend on IBM Thinkpad

  • Jimmy Chen
    Message 1 of 2 , May 2 2:22 PM
      William McKee wrote:
      Hi,

      I've been lurking on the list here for the last month while I've been setting
      up a Debian Linux system on a Thinkpad 755CD. It's been a poignant
      and, oftentimes, frustrating experience but also exhilirating to be moving
      off the reliance of MS and Win*.

      Anyhow, I'm just about finished the install and have a couple questions:
            1) when I try to suspend the laptop by closing the case or using
      'apm -s', nothing happens. Using the command, I get an error message
            'Cannot open APM device: Permission denied'
      However, I am able to start apm and have it notice AC off-line/on-line
      events. Could someone explain the meaning of this error?

      Do you login as root? It's the problem with your user permission.  You probably don't the rights
      to access some of the resources.
            2) I am trying to understand the SystemV boot/shutdown sequences
      but coming from the DOS/Win* world am having some difficulties. Could
      someone give me a good technical reference article or FAQ about how
      this all works?
      Check the following link:
      http://www.linux.org/help/index.html

      Cheers,