APM and Suspend on IBM Thinkpad

  • William McKee
    Message 1 of 1 , May 2, 2000

      I've been lurking on the list here for the last month while I've been setting
      up a Debian Linux system on a Thinkpad 755CD. It's been a poignant
      and, oftentimes, frustrating experience but also exhilirating to be moving
      off the reliance of MS and Win*.

      Anyhow, I'm just about finished the install and have a couple questions:
      1) when I try to suspend the laptop by closing the case or using
      'apm -s', nothing happens. Using the command, I get an error message
      'Cannot open APM device: Permission denied'
      However, I am able to start apm and have it notice AC off-line/on-line
      events. Could someone explain the meaning of this error?

      2) I am trying to understand the SystemV boot/shutdown sequences
      but coming from the DOS/Win* world am having some difficulties. Could
      someone give me a good technical reference article or FAQ about how
      this all works?

      Thanks in advance,
      William
      --