Re: RE: [linux-dell-laptops] sndconfig????

  • Nevil Newey
    Message 1 of 6 , May 1, 2000
      Where does one get the nm256.o driver? I have RH
      6.0 and running sndconfig does not detect the
      neomagic device?

      On Mon, 1 May 2000, Joey Gebbia wrote:

      > to let everyone know: this worked out well. My sound is now up and
      > running ......thanks Dan
      >

      > --- In linux-dell-laptops@egroups.com, "Dan Hagberg" <dhagberg@d...>
      > wrote:
      > > I had to enter some items into rc.local and conf.modules. Then it
      > worked.
      > > I am starting a page for CSx. Soon as it's done, I will submit it
      > to the
      > > linux laptops page. I don't want to mess it up. It's located at
      > > http://www.digitaltsunami.net/linux/index.html If you find any
      > problems on
      > > it, let me know so I can prevent someone from making the same
      > mistake.
      > >
      > > Here are the lines:
      > >
      > > Added two lines to /etc/conf.modules
      > > alias sound nm256
      > > alias char-major-14 nm256
      > >
      > > Added two lines to /etc/rc.d/rc.local
      > > /sbin/depmod -a
      > > /sbin/modprobe nm256.o
      > >
      > > Good luck!
      > > Dan

      |\ /\ |- __ |-- --/ __ --
      | | /--\ | | / \ |- / / \ / --
      |/ / \ |/ |__/ | /-- |__/ |___/
    • Dan
      Message 2 of 6 , May 1, 2000
        You might want to look at http://www.uglx.org/sony.html. It has
        information about getting sound running for 256AV and 256ZX.

        Dan

      • gokul_vs@yahoo.com
        Message 3 of 6 , Sep 6, 2000
          Any idea on sound config for Dell Latitude CP M233xt. it has a
          soundbalster pro sound card. i did sndconfig and picked the
          soundblaster pro option.
          every thing works fine except for sound recording. i am using sox and
          lame - mp3 recording programs and they dont work. they generate a
          144kb file all the time with no recorded audio. input for recording
          goes from the mic. recording works fine if i use the dd command and
          play back the .au file.
          i have tested the audio recording from mic and generating mp3 files
          using sox and lame on other pcs running linux 2.2.14 redhat 6.2.

          for some reason it doesnt work on dell latitude cp 233. it has linux
          2.2.14 and redhat 6.2. pre-recorded mp3 files play back fine when i
          use mpg123 program. but i cant record audio using sox or lame to
          generate .mp3 file for audio recorded using the internal mic. i have
          maxed the mic volume and no help. recording generates a constant
          144kb
          file.

          let me know if there is anything special i need to do to make
          recording work.

          thanks for your input.