Re: Resume not working on Dell Latitude

  • kjones@develop.com
    Message 1 of 15 , Aug 6, 2001
      Thanks for the reply,

      > First off - does your system suspend from console mode successfully
      > (i.e.: not in X)? To check your X version, type `X -version` to query
      > that. UseBIOSDisplay does not work, it never has, and never will since
      > the code was commented out. There is a new "Display" option in X 4.1.x
      > that has this behaviour (see the FAQ for more info on it), but the short
      > answer is that "Option" "Display" "BIOS" will do what UseBIOSDisplay was
      > supposed to do.

      X Version is 4.0.3, but I don't think this is the problem. I restarted
      in init-level 3 and I still couldn't get resume to work

      Kevin Jones

      --- In linux-dell-laptops@y..., Stephen Lau <slau@u...> wrote:
      > On Mon, Aug 06, 2001 at 08:18:31AM -0000, kjones@d... wrote:
      > > As I'm running RH7.1 I assume I'm using XFree86 4.0 (how can I check
      > > this?) I read on this forum that removing DRI from XF86Config-4 should
      > > help (it doesn't), and that including `UseBIOSDisplay' option in the
      > > device section should also help. How do I add this option ? (beware
      > > Linux newbie :-) )
      > >
      > > Finally, there are no log messages to help me, so any help here would
      > > be gratefully accpeted,
      >
      > First off - does your system suspend from console mode successfully
      > (i.e.: not in X)? To check your X version, type `X -version` to query
      > that. UseBIOSDisplay does not work, it never has, and never will since
      > the code was commented out. There is a new "Display" option in X 4.1.x
      > that has this behaviour (see the FAQ for more info on it), but the short
      > answer is that "Option" "Display" "BIOS" will do what UseBIOSDisplay was
      > supposed to do.
      >
      > -steve
      >
      > --
      > stephen lau :: [slau@u...] :: www.whacked.net :: ucsd/cse grad student
      > "It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to open
      one's mouth and remove all doubt."
    • Stephen Lau
      Message 2 of 15 , Aug 6, 2001
        Are you doing a s2r or s2d? Do you have LILO in MBR or /boot?

        cheers,
        steve

        Message 3 of 15 , Aug 6, 2001
          s2r (I know s2d means save 2 disk which I'm definitely not doing, what
          does s2r mean)

          LILO is in /boot, w2k is in the MBR

          Kevin

          http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

          Message 4 of 15 , Aug 7, 2001
            Anybody any ideas where I should go next with this? (apart from
            re-pave and try again)

            Kevin

            Message 5 of 15 , Aug 7, 2001
              One thing to try would be to boot off a DOS or Win95/Win98 boot disk to
              get to a raw DOS prompt. THen try the S2R to see if that works...that
              will determine if it's a hardware or software (Linux) problem.

              -steve
              (sorry, I missed your first reply... )

              Message 6 of 15 , Aug 7, 2001
                I have W2K installed on the primary partition, suspend works fine for
                that, so I assume it's not hardware,

                Kevin

              • Stephen Lau
                Message 7 of 15 , Aug 7, 2001
                  The reason I ask though is that W2K might be catching the suspend and
                  doing it's own thing for suspending to a file or something. (disclaimer:
                  I don't know anything about Win2000's suspend, I'm just hypothesizing),
                  and booting off into a base system boot disk would verify this.

                  As far as I know, Linux doesn't catch S2R in any way at all - the
                  notebook bios takes care of everything... there isn't really anything
                  you can do under Linux to control S2R.

                  -steve

                  Message 8 of 15 , Aug 8, 2001
                    Stephen,

                    thanks for your time on this.

                    Well - I don't believe this - I upgraded to the 2.4.7 kernel and
                    resume now works!

                    The only thing that doesn't happen is that the PCMCIA card is not
                    restarted, do I need to do something particular to start the card and
                    the eth0 interface (popping out and pushing back in the card is works
                    fine BTW),

                    Kevin Jones
                  • Stephen Lau
                    Message 9 of 15 , Aug 8, 2001
                      Glad to hear it's working now... :)

                      You might need to recompile PCMCIA to match your 2.4.7 kernel.. the
                      sources are at http://pcmcia-cs.sourceforge.net

                      cheers,
                      steve

                    • kjones@develop.com
                      Message 10 of 15 , Aug 8, 2001
                        OK thanks, I'll try that,

                        Kevin

                        --- In linux-dell-laptops@y..., Stephen Lau <slau@u...> wrote:
                        > Glad to hear it's working now... :)
                        >
                        > You might need to recompile PCMCIA to match your 2.4.7 kernel.. the
                        > sources are at http://pcmcia-cs.sourceforge.net
                        >
                        > cheers,
                        > steve
                        >
                        > On Wed, Aug 08, 2001 at 08:21:36AM -0000, kjones@d... wrote:
                        > > Stephen,
                        > >
                        > > thanks for your time on this.
                        > >
                        > > Well - I don't believe this - I upgraded to the 2.4.7 kernel and
                        > > resume now works!
                        > >
                        > > The only thing that doesn't happen is that the PCMCIA card is not
                        > > restarted, do I need to do something particular to start the card and
                        > > the eth0 interface (popping out and pushing back in the card is works
                        > > fine BTW),
                        > >
                        > > Kevin Jones

                        http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

                        > --
                        > stephen lau :: [slau@u...] :: www.whacked.net :: ucsd/cse grad student
                        > gpg key id: 0x09E5CD21 via keyservers, or on my website
                      • Art Delano
                        Message 11 of 15 , Aug 8, 2001
                          on 8/7/01 6:02 PM, Stephen Lau at slau@... wrote:

                          > As far as I know, Linux doesn't catch S2R in any way at all - the
                          > notebook bios takes care of everything... there isn't really anything
                          > you can do under Linux to control S2R.

                          A possibly related problem i'm dealing with for s2d on my I3800 (Mandrake 8)
                          is that when i attempt to Suspend to Disk, the BIOS responds that the s2d
                          partition already has an unrestored session. I know this isn't the case
                          because i wiped and initialized the partition myself.

                          Any suggestions?

                          AjD
                          --
                          Art Delano: Summer!:: Logic Solutions: 734-930-0009x215
                          http://www.logiclink.com/
                          Message 12 of 15 , Aug 8, 2001
                            On Wed, Aug 08, 2001 at 01:46:01PM -0400, Art Delano wrote:
                            > A possibly related problem i'm dealing with for s2d on my I3800 (Mandrake 8)
                            > is that when i attempt to Suspend to Disk, the BIOS responds that the s2d
                            > partition already has an unrestored session. I know this isn't the case
                            > because i wiped and initialized the partition myself.

                            You might try using mks2d or phdisk (whichever one is relevant to your
                            system/bios) to reinitialise the partition... I'm not entirely sure, but
                            that's probably what I would try.

                            cheers,
                            steve