Out-of-warranty hardware problem

  • Art Delano
    Message 1 of 2 , Aug 4, 2001
      I've got an Inspiron 3800 that's fallen out of warranty, and the keyboard
      has waited until now to break.

      Specifically, the 8ik, column of keys only occasionally works. The intervals
      in which they fail is getting longer. So I need to repair or replace the
      keyboard.

      Now, i've fiddled with desktop keyboards a lot, but i've never taken apart a
      laptop keyboard to repair. I feel pretty confident about being able to
      replace the keyboard myself -- i've done that before on other laptops.

      Replacing it through Dell means spending around us$400 ($270 for the
      keyboard, $150 for labor). They won't renew the warranty until i get the
      keyboard repaired ($400), get the laptop recertified ($170), and purchase
      two years coverage, starting from when the previous warranty ended ($350).

      So I'm looking for third-party parts vendors. Team Excess
      (http://www.teamexcess.com) says they probably have one in stock, but i have
      to contact the inventory manager to order and he's not returning calls or
      email. Has anybody had success with any other online vendor? I'm having
      trouble finding other parts vendors that deal in Dell laptops.

      Thanks,
      AjD
      --
      Art Delano: Summer!:: Logic Solutions: 734-930-0009x215
      http://www.logiclink.com/
      Message 2 of 2 , Aug 4, 2001
        --- In linux-dell-laptops@y..., Art Delano <adelano@l...> wrote:
        > I've got an Inspiron 3800 that's fallen out of warranty, and the
        keyboard
        > has waited until now to break.

        Oh boy! I wonder what these manufacturers do with these
        laptops, do they build-in some sort of autodestruction
        mechanism? my I7500's LCD screen totally stopped functioning
        (external monitor was ok) a couple of weeks after the
        warranty expired. Yes, I too was very angry.

        > Replacing it through Dell means spending around us$400 ($270 for the
        > keyboard, $150 for labor). They won't renew the warranty until i get

        Nothing new here, I had to pay over $1000 to get it fixed/replaced.
        Had to spend ENDLESS HOURS (yes hours) on the phone going
        through their web of support (or lack of it), and at some
        point they did not even know where my laptop had gone! In the
        meantime I was forced to postpone a trip abroad (relocation)
        and nearly get ulcers to get the thing fixed and returned
        to me.

        I feel it for you. At this point I am not really sure if I
        would go for another dell laptop. Hope you get your
        problem fixed.