Re: RH7 installation problems on I8k

  • mtidd@mindspring.com
    Message 1 of 6 , Aug 2, 2001
      I had what may be a similar problem to what you are facing and was
      reminded that the boot partition of Linux has to be located below
      cylinder 1024 or problems result. I had to install four times before
      I found my solution. All went fine with two of the four installs
      only to get a boot disk made and it would error out after mounting
      the drive.

      I had to partition my Windows so I had enough room for Linux to be
      below cylinder 1024. It seems to be working fine now.

      --- In linux-dell-laptops@y..., "Don wind" <don_wind@y...> wrote:
      > I have a new I8k with 384 Megs of RAM, and a 48GB hard drive. I
      Have
      > a 10 GB partition (hda1) for Windows Me, but I want to use RH7 as
      my
      > main operating system. I was able to install in Text mode, but My
      > first error was during the Lilo portion of the install. IO could
      not
      > read the error. I assume it was because of the LBA32 problem. When
      > I'm able to get into RH I should be able to edit my /etc/lilo.conf
      > resolve that. Mt bigger problem is a system panic during the RH
      start-
      > up tests. Towards the end of the start-up test. I get a
      >
      > "Kernel Panic : Attempting to kill the idle task! In interupt
      handler
      > - not syncing"
      >
      > Adn the system halts. I can't scroll up to get anymore info on this
      > error. Anyone else had this kind of problem?
    • Chris Chambliss
      Message 2 of 6 , Aug 2, 2001
        I guess it's a new version of LILO that comes with RH7.1, but the cylinder
        1024 thing is fixed with 7.1...

        > I had what may be a similar problem to what you are facing and was
        > reminded that the boot partition of Linux has to be located below
        > cylinder 1024 or problems result. I had to install four times before
        > I found my solution. All went fine with two of the four installs
        > only to get a boot disk made and it would error out after mounting
        > the drive.
        >
        > I had to partition my Windows so I had enough room for Linux to be
        > below cylinder 1024. It seems to be working fine now.
        >
        > --- In linux-dell-laptops@y..., "Don wind" <don_wind@y...> wrote:
        > > I have a new I8k with 384 Megs of RAM, and a 48GB hard drive. I
        > Have
        > > a 10 GB partition (hda1) for Windows Me, but I want to use RH7 as
        > my
        > > main operating system. I was able to install in Text mode, but My
        > > first error was during the Lilo portion of the install. IO could
        > not
        > > read the error. I assume it was because of the LBA32 problem. When
        > > I'm able to get into RH I should be able to edit my /etc/lilo.conf
        > > resolve that. Mt bigger problem is a system panic during the RH
        > start-
        > > up tests. Towards the end of the start-up test. I get a
        > >
        > > "Kernel Panic : Attempting to kill the idle task! In interupt
        > handler
        > > - not syncing"
        > >
        > > Adn the system halts. I can't scroll up to get anymore info on this
        > > error. Anyone else had this kind of problem?

      • J. Orrell
        Message 3 of 6 , Aug 3, 2001
          Chris,

          Is this really true? I was not able to get RH7.1 to boot when I
          attempted to put the /boot above 1024. I moved it lower and sure enough it
          is all happy.

          Now maybe I'll get a couple grumbles here... but I would love to
          be able to ignore the 1024 rule because I would like to have more room for
          WinMe. Yes, that's right I'd like to put a few apps onto that Microshafted
          OS and then have some space to fool around with.

          I guess an alternative would be to have my partitions ordered differently.

          I have currently: (fdisk -l)

          Disk /dev/hda: 255 heads, 63 sectors, 5836 cylinders
          Units = cylinders of 16065 * 512 bytes

          Device Boot Start End Blocks Id System
          /dev/hda1 71 835 6144862+ b Win95 FAT32 (WinME)
          /dev/hda2 * 1 70 562243+ 84 OS/2 hidden C: drive (s2d)
          /dev/hda3 836 840 40162+ 83 Linux (/boot)
          /dev/hda4 841 5836 40130370 f Win95 Ext'd (LBA) (xtnded)
          /dev/hda5 841 971 1052226 82 Linux swap (swap)
          /dev/hda6 972 1277 2457913+ 83 Linux ( / )
          /dev/hda7 1278 2552 10241406 83 Linux (/usr/local)
          /dev/hda8 2553 5836 26378698+ 83 Linux (/home)

          So I know I have some partitioning problems. I tell you this, I get LILO
          to give me a choice on boot even though s2d has '*'. Last time I tried s2d
          it reloaded but was extremely slow and unresponsive.

          Is there any reason why I can't move the /boot in front of the WinME? Will
          WinMe all of a sudden think it is looking at drive D: instead of C:?

          Comments, recommendations appreciated.

          Yours,
          John O.

          On Fri, 3 Aug 2001, Chris Chambliss wrote:

          > I guess it's a new version of LILO that comes with RH7.1, but the cylinder
          > 1024 thing is fixed with 7.1...

          "I accidentally climbed down the face of Mt. Muir." - BDM
        • Stephen Lau
          Message 4 of 6 , Aug 3, 2001
            On Fri, Aug 03, 2001 at 08:52:44PM -0700, J. Orrell wrote:
            > Is this really true? I was not able to get RH7.1 to boot when I
            > attempted to put the /boot above 1024. I moved it lower and sure enough it
            > is all happy.

            Yup...the version of LILO (21.4-4) breaks the 1024 limit, and I was able
            to have my boot partition higher than 1024 without any problems.

            > Is there any reason why I can't move the /boot in front of the WinME? Will
            > WinMe all of a sudden think it is looking at drive D: instead of C:?

            Shouldn't be a problem because Windows will just look at the partition
            and not recognise it, so it won't even assign a drive letter to it.

            cheers,
            steve
            "It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to open one's mouth and remove all doubt."