Re: [linux-dell-laptops] Re: I4000 w/Docking station - X-win on external monitor?

  • Stephen Lau
    Message 1 of 8 , Aug 2, 2001
      Hi Jim,
      Ah...that would be the problem. The "Display" option is only
      for X 4.1.0 (I thought I had put that in the FAQ, maybe not...in which
      case I should). It doesn't work on X 4.0.3.
      Definitely do the upgrade...it's seamless and pretty painless.
      :)

      -steve

      On Thu, Aug 02, 2001 at 10:45:02PM -0000, JimBurdickSATX@... wrote:
      > Steve,
      >
      > Hello again. I am running X 4.0.3 and thought that that would work,
      > but perhaps I need to get 4.1 and try updating.
      >
      > I will fiddle with this a bit and see what happens. If I find anything
      > significant, I will report it.
      >
      > Thanks,
      > Jim
      >
      > --- In linux-dell-laptops@y..., Stephen Lau <slau@u...> wrote:
      > > Hi Jim,
      > > Did you install X 4.1.0? Or are you running X 4.0.3?
      > > Basically, what *should* happen (I got this working for my I8K under
      > > both Progeny and Red Hat after I installed X 4.1.0) was that I had
      > > "Display" set to "BIOS" as below, and the system would boot up just
      > > fine. Upon starting X, X detects the external monitor plugged in,
      > and
      > > the BIOS switches automatically over to the external monitor - X
      > will
      > > then follow this and use the external monitor properly.
      > > I would think this would work for the I4000 as well as the
      > > I8000. We both use the same dock I think, don't we?
      > >
      > > -steve

      "It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to open one's mouth and remove all doubt."
    • JimBurdickSATX@aol.com
      Message 2 of 8 , Aug 5, 2001
        --- In linux-dell-laptops@y..., Stephen Lau <slau@u...> wrote:
        > Hi Jim,
        > Ah...that would be the problem. The "Display" option is only
        > for X 4.1.0 (I thought I had put that in the FAQ, maybe not...in
        which
        > case I should). It doesn't work on X 4.0.3.
        > Definitely do the upgrade...it's seamless and pretty painless.
        > :)
        >
        > -steve

        Steve (and all),

        Yes, thank you much for the guidance. I got too busy to finish the
        task right away, howver here is the resolution:

        -- I upgraded to XFree86 4.1.0 and the screen issue is now a
        non-issue. Yes, the upgrade was very seamless, just took some download
        time.

        -- Somehow in the upload, I 'lost' the kde desktop, but am working on
        that and that will be trivialwhen it is all over.

        -- A 'side' problem that showed up was that the pcmcia network device
        (a Xircom) does not get recognized (or get recognized correctly may be
        more accurate) and the network only seems to work in the dock (a 3COM
        device) right now.

        In any event, thank you for the help and I want to add that although I
        have been using linux for years (back in the old '0.96' days [I still
        have those disks]), and minix before that, this newer distribution
        style has not entirely made me a convert just yet. But it aint bad!

        Cheers,
        jim
      • wag357
        Message 3 of 8 , Jan 1, 2002
          Thanks for helping me out! I've spent HOURS on HOURS
          looking for this solution! A simple line added to a file corrected
          my entire nightmare. Also, I changed the AGP option to 4 to
          improve frame rate and it works fine.

          BTW I did the original install of Mandrake 8.1 Gaming while
          docked and the only way I could get x to configure was by
          choosing Unlisted card in video set up. when i tried to change to
          r128 driver is when this all began. All other HW, except the
          modem (right, the thing we used to use for BBSes) and Xircom
          realport 10/100, set up flawlessly.

          Dell i8000
          ATI M4 32mb
          384mb ram