Re: [linux-dell-laptops] Re: I4000 w/Docking station - X-win on external monitor?

  • Stephen Lau
    Message 1 of 8 , Aug 2, 2001
      Hi Jim,
      Did you install X 4.1.0? Or are you running X 4.0.3?
      Basically, what *should* happen (I got this working for my I8K under
      both Progeny and Red Hat after I installed X 4.1.0) was that I had
      "Display" set to "BIOS" as below, and the system would boot up just
      fine. Upon starting X, X detects the external monitor plugged in, and
      the BIOS switches automatically over to the external monitor - X will
      then follow this and use the external monitor properly.
      I would think this would work for the I4000 as well as the
      I8000. We both use the same dock I think, don't we?

      -steve

      On Thu, Aug 02, 2001 at 07:02:19PM -0000, JimBurdickSATX@... wrote:
      > Steve,
      >
      > Thank you very much. I probably should have been more explicit here.
      >
      > I installed Mandrake 8.0 and X works fine, but the problem is with the
      > steps in the faq not appearing to work as documented.
      >
      > I added the following line to the file /etc/X11/XF86Config in the
      > "ATI" section:
      >
      > Option "Display" "BIOS"
      >
      > This seems to work, as I could not get the Fn-F8 to work before.
      > However, the substituting "CRT" for "BIOS" does not seem to work, the
      > systems appears to continue following the Fn-F8 toggle. Using "Mirror"
      > seemed to not work as well.
      >
      > This means that I do not see how to set the laptop up as using the CRT
      > without lifting the lid (quite a chore with the monitor on top of it).
      >
      > Thank you for your input, I do appreciate it.

      "It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to open one's mouth and remove all doubt."
    • JimBurdickSATX@aol.com
      Message 2 of 8 , Aug 2, 2001
        Steve,

        Hello again. I am running X 4.0.3 and thought that that would work,
        but perhaps I need to get 4.1 and try updating.

        I will fiddle with this a bit and see what happens. If I find anything
        significant, I will report it.

        Thanks,
        Jim

        --- In linux-dell-laptops@y..., Stephen Lau <slau@u...> wrote:
        > Hi Jim,
        > Did you install X 4.1.0? Or are you running X 4.0.3?
        > Basically, what *should* happen (I got this working for my I8K under
        > both Progeny and Red Hat after I installed X 4.1.0) was that I had
        > "Display" set to "BIOS" as below, and the system would boot up just
        > fine. Upon starting X, X detects the external monitor plugged in,
        and
        > the BIOS switches automatically over to the external monitor - X
        will
        > then follow this and use the external monitor properly.
        > I would think this would work for the I4000 as well as the
        > I8000. We both use the same dock I think, don't we?
        >
        > -steve

      • Stephen Lau
        Message 3 of 8 , Aug 2, 2001
          Hi Jim,
          Ah...that would be the problem. The "Display" option is only
          for X 4.1.0 (I thought I had put that in the FAQ, maybe not...in which
          case I should). It doesn't work on X 4.0.3.
          Definitely do the upgrade...it's seamless and pretty painless.
          :)

          -steve

          Message 4 of 8 , Aug 5, 2001
            --- In linux-dell-laptops@y..., Stephen Lau <slau@u...> wrote:
            > Hi Jim,
            > Ah...that would be the problem. The "Display" option is only
            > for X 4.1.0 (I thought I had put that in the FAQ, maybe not...in
            which
            > case I should). It doesn't work on X 4.0.3.
            > Definitely do the upgrade...it's seamless and pretty painless.
            > :)
            >
            > -steve

            Steve (and all),

            Yes, thank you much for the guidance. I got too busy to finish the
            task right away, howver here is the resolution:

            -- I upgraded to XFree86 4.1.0 and the screen issue is now a
            non-issue. Yes, the upgrade was very seamless, just took some download
            time.

            -- Somehow in the upload, I 'lost' the kde desktop, but am working on
            that and that will be trivialwhen it is all over.

            -- A 'side' problem that showed up was that the pcmcia network device
            (a Xircom) does not get recognized (or get recognized correctly may be
            more accurate) and the network only seems to work in the dock (a 3COM
            device) right now.

            In any event, thank you for the help and I want to add that although I
            have been using linux for years (back in the old '0.96' days [I still
            have those disks]), and minix before that, this newer distribution
            style has not entirely made me a convert just yet. But it aint bad!

            Cheers,
            jim
          • wag357
            Message 5 of 8 , Jan 1, 2002
              Thanks for helping me out! I've spent HOURS on HOURS
              looking for this solution! A simple line added to a file corrected
              my entire nightmare. Also, I changed the AGP option to 4 to
              improve frame rate and it works fine.

              BTW I did the original install of Mandrake 8.1 Gaming while
              docked and the only way I could get x to configure was by
              choosing Unlisted card in video set up. when i tried to change to
              r128 driver is when this all began. All other HW, except the
              modem (right, the thing we used to use for BBSes) and Xircom
              realport 10/100, set up flawlessly.

              Dell i8000
              ATI M4 32mb
              384mb ram