sndconfig????

  • Joey Gebbia
    Message 1 of 6 , Apr 29, 2000
      Hi all! I have a Dell Latitude Csx H...running Redhat 6.1.....I Keep
      getting a no dev/dsp found error....I know now that it is a sound
      card problem (correct me if I'm wrong)....so now I go into
      sndconfig...it finds that I have a Neomagic 256 sound card...I click
      OK....then it shows a warning that states "this driver is known to
      lock Dell Inspirion 3500 Notebooks, do you want to continue? ......I
      click on yes but it doesn't go into the next screen...my only option
      is "NO"...Does anybody know the problem????....Thanks in advance, Joey
    • Dan Hagberg
      Message 2 of 6 , Apr 29, 2000
        I had to enter some items into rc.local and conf.modules. Then it worked.
        I am starting a page for CSx. Soon as it's done, I will submit it to the
        linux laptops page. I don't want to mess it up. It's located at
        http://www.digitaltsunami.net/linux/index.html If you find any problems on
        it, let me know so I can prevent someone from making the same mistake.

        Here are the lines:

        Added two lines to /etc/conf.modules
        alias sound nm256
        alias char-major-14 nm256

        Added two lines to /etc/rc.d/rc.local
        /sbin/depmod -a
        /sbin/modprobe nm256.o

        Good luck!
        Dan
        Hi all! I have a Dell Latitude Csx H...running Redhat 6.1.....I Keep
        getting a no dev/dsp found error....I know now that it is a sound
        card problem (correct me if I'm wrong)....so now I go into
        sndconfig...it finds that I have a Neomagic 256 sound card...I click
        OK....then it shows a warning that states "this driver is known to
        lock Dell Inspirion 3500 Notebooks, do you want to continue? ......I
        click on yes but it doesn't go into the next screen...my only option
        is "NO"...Does anybody know the problem????....Thanks in advance, Joey

        http://click.egroups.com/1/3019/4/_/4243/_/957042501/
      • Joey Gebbia
        Message 3 of 6 , Apr 30, 2000
          to let everyone know: this worked out well. My sound is now up and
          running ......thanks Dan

          --- In linux-dell-laptops@egroups.com, "Dan Hagberg" <dhagberg@d...>
          wrote:
          > I had to enter some items into rc.local and conf.modules. Then it
          worked.
          > I am starting a page for CSx. Soon as it's done, I will submit it
          to the
          > linux laptops page. I don't want to mess it up. It's located at
          > http://www.digitaltsunami.net/linux/index.html If you find any
          problems on
          > it, let me know so I can prevent someone from making the same
          mistake.

          > Here are the lines:
          >
          > Added two lines to /etc/conf.modules
          > alias sound nm256
          > alias char-major-14 nm256
          >
          > Added two lines to /etc/rc.d/rc.local
          > /sbin/depmod -a
          > /sbin/modprobe nm256.o
          >
          > Good luck!
          > Dan

          ----
        • Nevil Newey
          Message 4 of 6 , May 1, 2000
            Where does one get the nm256.o driver? I have RH
            6.0 and running sndconfig does not detect the
            neomagic device?

            On Mon, 1 May 2000, Joey Gebbia wrote:

            > to let everyone know: this worked out well. My sound is now up and
            > running ......thanks Dan
            >

            > --- In linux-dell-laptops@egroups.com, "Dan Hagberg" <dhagberg@d...>
            > wrote:
            > > I had to enter some items into rc.local and conf.modules. Then it
            > worked.
            > > I am starting a page for CSx. Soon as it's done, I will submit it
            > to the
            > > linux laptops page. I don't want to mess it up. It's located at
            > > http://www.digitaltsunami.net/linux/index.html If you find any
            > problems on
            > > it, let me know so I can prevent someone from making the same
            > mistake.
            > >
            > > Here are the lines:
            > >
            > > Added two lines to /etc/conf.modules
            > > alias sound nm256
            > > alias char-major-14 nm256
            > >
            > > Added two lines to /etc/rc.d/rc.local
            > > /sbin/depmod -a
            > > /sbin/modprobe nm256.o
            > >
            > > Good luck!
            > > Dan

            |\ /\ |- __ |-- --/ __ --
            | | /--\ | | / \ |- / / \ / --
            |/ / \ |/ |__/ | /-- |__/ |___/
          • Dan
            Message 5 of 6 , May 1, 2000
              You might want to look at http://www.uglx.org/sony.html. It has
              information about getting sound running for 256AV and 256ZX.

              Dan

            • gokul_vs@yahoo.com
              Message 6 of 6 , Sep 6, 2000
                Any idea on sound config for Dell Latitude CP M233xt. it has a
                soundbalster pro sound card. i did sndconfig and picked the
                soundblaster pro option.
                every thing works fine except for sound recording. i am using sox and
                lame - mp3 recording programs and they dont work. they generate a
                144kb file all the time with no recorded audio. input for recording
                goes from the mic. recording works fine if i use the dd command and
                play back the .au file.
                i have tested the audio recording from mic and generating mp3 files
                using sox and lame on other pcs running linux 2.2.14 redhat 6.2.

                for some reason it doesnt work on dell latitude cp 233. it has linux
                2.2.14 and redhat 6.2. pre-recorded mp3 files play back fine when i
                use mpg123 program. but i cant record audio using sox or lame to
                generate .mp3 file for audio recorded using the internal mic. i have
                maxed the mic volume and no help. recording generates a constant
                144kb
                file.

                let me know if there is anything special i need to do to make
                recording work.

                thanks for your input.