I4000 w/Docking station - X-win on external monitor?

  • JimBurdickSATX@aol.com
    Message 1 of 8 , Aug 2, 2001
      Hi,

      I would bet that someone has already encountered and solved this one.
      I just got mandrake 8.0 running on my Inspiron. X works fine as a
      laptop, but in the docking station, X goes to the TFT monitor instead
      of the external monitor.

      Anyone that can help me be able to run X on the external monitor would
      be held in great esteem!!

      Thanks in advance. (email or posted answers will be much appreciated)
      Jim
    • Stephen Lau
      Message 2 of 8 , Aug 2, 2001
        Hi Jim,
        Please check the FAQ at http://www.whacked.net/ldl-faq and look
        at section 3.3, it has the answer to this.

        cheers,
        steve

        On Thu, Aug 02, 2001 at 03:10:59PM -0000, JimBurdickSATX@... wrote:
        > Hi,
        >
        > I would bet that someone has already encountered and solved this one.
        > I just got mandrake 8.0 running on my Inspiron. X works fine as a
        > laptop, but in the docking station, X goes to the TFT monitor instead
        > of the external monitor.
        >
        > Anyone that can help me be able to run X on the external monitor would
        > be held in great esteem!!
        >
        > Thanks in advance. (email or posted answers will be much appreciated)
        > Jim

        "It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to open one's mouth and remove all doubt."
      • JimBurdickSATX@aol.com
        Message 3 of 8 , Aug 2, 2001
          Steve,

          Thank you very much. I probably should have been more explicit here.

          I installed Mandrake 8.0 and X works fine, but the problem is with the
          steps in the faq not appearing to work as documented.

          I added the following line to the file /etc/X11/XF86Config in the
          "ATI" section:

          Option "Display" "BIOS"

          This seems to work, as I could not get the Fn-F8 to work before.
          However, the substituting "CRT" for "BIOS" does not seem to work, the
          systems appears to continue following the Fn-F8 toggle. Using "Mirror"
          seemed to not work as well.

          This means that I do not see how to set the laptop up as using the CRT
          without lifting the lid (quite a chore with the monitor on top of it).

          Thank you for your input, I do appreciate it.

          Cheers,
          Jim

          Message 4 of 8 , Aug 2, 2001
            Hi Jim,
            Did you install X 4.1.0? Or are you running X 4.0.3?
            Basically, what *should* happen (I got this working for my I8K under
            both Progeny and Red Hat after I installed X 4.1.0) was that I had
            "Display" set to "BIOS" as below, and the system would boot up just
            fine. Upon starting X, X detects the external monitor plugged in, and
            the BIOS switches automatically over to the external monitor - X will
            then follow this and use the external monitor properly.
            I would think this would work for the I4000 as well as the
            I8000. We both use the same dock I think, don't we?

            -steve

            Message 5 of 8 , Aug 2, 2001
              Steve,

              Hello again. I am running X 4.0.3 and thought that that would work,
              but perhaps I need to get 4.1 and try updating.

              I will fiddle with this a bit and see what happens. If I find anything
              significant, I will report it.

              Thanks,
              Jim

              --- In linux-dell-laptops@y..., Stephen Lau <slau@u...> wrote:
              > Hi Jim,
              > Did you install X 4.1.0? Or are you running X 4.0.3?
              > Basically, what *should* happen (I got this working for my I8K under
              > both Progeny and Red Hat after I installed X 4.1.0) was that I had
              > "Display" set to "BIOS" as below, and the system would boot up just
              > fine. Upon starting X, X detects the external monitor plugged in,
              and
              > the BIOS switches automatically over to the external monitor - X
              will
              > then follow this and use the external monitor properly.
              > I would think this would work for the I4000 as well as the
              > I8000. We both use the same dock I think, don't we?
              >
              > -steve

            • Stephen Lau
              Message 6 of 8 , Aug 2, 2001
                Hi Jim,
                Ah...that would be the problem. The "Display" option is only
                for X 4.1.0 (I thought I had put that in the FAQ, maybe not...in which
                case I should). It doesn't work on X 4.0.3.
                Definitely do the upgrade...it's seamless and pretty painless.
                :)

                -steve

                Message 7 of 8 , Aug 5, 2001
                  --- In linux-dell-laptops@y..., Stephen Lau <slau@u...> wrote:
                  > Hi Jim,
                  > Ah...that would be the problem. The "Display" option is only
                  > for X 4.1.0 (I thought I had put that in the FAQ, maybe not...in
                  which
                  > case I should). It doesn't work on X 4.0.3.
                  > Definitely do the upgrade...it's seamless and pretty painless.
                  > :)
                  >
                  > -steve

                  Steve (and all),

                  Yes, thank you much for the guidance. I got too busy to finish the
                  task right away, howver here is the resolution:

                  -- I upgraded to XFree86 4.1.0 and the screen issue is now a
                  non-issue. Yes, the upgrade was very seamless, just took some download
                  time.

                  -- Somehow in the upload, I 'lost' the kde desktop, but am working on
                  that and that will be trivialwhen it is all over.

                  -- A 'side' problem that showed up was that the pcmcia network device
                  (a Xircom) does not get recognized (or get recognized correctly may be
                  more accurate) and the network only seems to work in the dock (a 3COM
                  device) right now.

                  In any event, thank you for the help and I want to add that although I
                  have been using linux for years (back in the old '0.96' days [I still
                  have those disks]), and minix before that, this newer distribution
                  style has not entirely made me a convert just yet. But it aint bad!

                  Cheers,
                  jim
                • wag357
                  Message 8 of 8 , Jan 1, 2002
                    Thanks for helping me out! I've spent HOURS on HOURS
                    looking for this solution! A simple line added to a file corrected
                    my entire nightmare. Also, I changed the AGP option to 4 to
                    improve frame rate and it works fine.

                    BTW I did the original install of Mandrake 8.1 Gaming while
                    docked and the only way I could get x to configure was by
                    choosing Unlisted card in video set up. when i tried to change to
                    r128 driver is when this all began. All other HW, except the
                    modem (right, the thing we used to use for BBSes) and Xircom
                    realport 10/100, set up flawlessly.

                    Dell i8000
                    ATI M4 32mb
                    384mb ram