Re: (unknown)

  • fpm@flash.net
    Message 1 of 6 , Aug 1, 2001
      I know it may seem funny. But there is a 'setup' command you can run
      from the command line. It brings up a color console window and allows
      you to chose form a list of what you would like to configure. Some of
      the options are Network, mouse etc. The very last option is the 'X
      Configuration'.

      I have the NVIDIA GeForce w/32M.

      Thanks

      --- In linux-dell-laptops@y..., Stephen Lau <slau@u...> wrote:
      > 'setup'? i didn't know configuring Linux was so easy as to
      run 'setup'.
      > :)
      >
      > if you look in the files section you'll see many X configuration
      files
      > that will probably work for you. it would help if you said which
      video
      > card you had (ATI or GeForce)
      >
      > -steve
      >
      > On Thu, Aug 02, 2001 at 12:09:08AM -0000, fpm@f... wrote:
      > > Hi All,
      > >
      > > I just received my new Dell i8000 last week. It arrived with
      Windows
      > > ME. I promptly installed Windows2000 on one partition and Red Hat
      7.1
      > > on another.
      > >
      > > I am having trouble getting the X display installed and running.
      The

      http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

      > --
      > stephen lau :: [slau@u...] :: www.whacked.net :: ucsd/cse grad
      student
      > "It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to open
      one's mouth and remove all doubt."
    • Ravi Pratap M
      Message 2 of 6 , Aug 1, 2001
        Hi there,

        On Thu, 2 Aug 2001 fpm@... wrote:

        > I know it may seem funny. But there is a 'setup' command you can run
        > from the command line. It brings up a color console window and allows

        Indeed there is :-) It is quite handy when you want to perform
        simple tasks like set which services should be started etc.

        Newbies find it nice because they see they can do a couple of
        things all form one place without remembering too many config file
        locations :-)

        Regards,

        Ravi

        --
        "If you're smart, you'll be humble. There always is somebody
        who hasn't read a book and knows twice as much as you do."

        -- David Duchovny in Readers' Digest

        Ravi Pratap M <ravi@...>
        <http://www.iitm.ac.in/~ravi>
      • Stephen Lau
        Message 3 of 6 , Aug 1, 2001
          wow... didn't know such a command existed. i guess Red Hat is tailoring
          their distribution to a wider crowd now, which hopefully will address the
          inherent difficulties in configuring linux. i'm impressed. (i still
          think i prefer Debian though <g>.. nothing beats apt-get)

          in any case...yeah, check the files section - numerous people have posted
          their I8K with G2G XF86Config files...

          cheers,
          steve