Re: [linux-dell-laptops] (unknown)

  • Stephen Lau
    Message 1 of 6 , Aug 1 6:19 PM
      'setup'? i didn't know configuring Linux was so easy as to run 'setup'.
      :)

      if you look in the files section you'll see many X configuration files
      that will probably work for you. it would help if you said which video
      card you had (ATI or GeForce)

      -steve

      On Thu, Aug 02, 2001 at 12:09:08AM -0000, fpm@... wrote:
      > Hi All,
      >
      > I just received my new Dell i8000 last week. It arrived with Windows
      > ME. I promptly installed Windows2000 on one partition and Red Hat 7.1
      > on another.
      >
      > I am having trouble getting the X display installed and running. The
      > test based programs run fine. I thought I followed the install
      > process to a T. I have a desktop system that installed and run
      > perpect. I have even tried to run 'setup'. This reported that
      > the '/etc/sysconfig/mouse' file had an error at line 5. The console
      > mouse works fine though.
      >
      > The question I have is can someone tell me the options they chose for
      > video, mouse, monitor etc during thier install. I would even settle
      > for the actual configuration file to compare to mine.
      >
      > Also, here are my laptop specs:
      >
      > Dell Inspiron 8000
      > 1Ghz processor
      > 512M RAM
      > 48G Drive
      > 15" UXGA Display

      "It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to open one's mouth and remove all doubt."
    • mavin
      Message 2 of 6 , Aug 1 6:22 PM

        Look at the files section of the yahoo groups pages.

        mn

        Message 3 of 6 , Aug 1 7:28 PM
          I know it may seem funny. But there is a 'setup' command you can run
          from the command line. It brings up a color console window and allows
          you to chose form a list of what you would like to configure. Some of
          the options are Network, mouse etc. The very last option is the 'X
          Configuration'.

          I have the NVIDIA GeForce w/32M.

          Thanks

          http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

          > --
          > stephen lau :: [slau@u...] :: www.whacked.net :: ucsd/cse grad
          student
          > "It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to open
          one's mouth and remove all doubt."
        • Ravi Pratap M
          Message 4 of 6 , Aug 1 9:35 PM
            Hi there,

            On Thu, 2 Aug 2001 fpm@... wrote:

            > I know it may seem funny. But there is a 'setup' command you can run
            > from the command line. It brings up a color console window and allows

            Indeed there is :-) It is quite handy when you want to perform
            simple tasks like set which services should be started etc.

            Newbies find it nice because they see they can do a couple of
            things all form one place without remembering too many config file
            locations :-)

            Regards,

            Ravi

            --
            "If you're smart, you'll be humble. There always is somebody
            who hasn't read a book and knows twice as much as you do."

            -- David Duchovny in Readers' Digest

            Ravi Pratap M <ravi@...>
            <http://www.iitm.ac.in/~ravi>
          • Stephen Lau
            Message 5 of 6 , Aug 1 10:59 PM
              wow... didn't know such a command existed. i guess Red Hat is tailoring
              their distribution to a wider crowd now, which hopefully will address the
              inherent difficulties in configuring linux. i'm impressed. (i still
              think i prefer Debian though <g>.. nothing beats apt-get)

              in any case...yeah, check the files section - numerous people have posted
              their I8K with G2G XF86Config files...

              cheers,
              steve