  • fpm@flash.net
    Message 1 of 6 , Aug 1, 2001
      Hi All,

      I just received my new Dell i8000 last week. It arrived with Windows
      ME. I promptly installed Windows2000 on one partition and Red Hat 7.1
      on another.

      I am having trouble getting the X display installed and running. The
      test based programs run fine. I thought I followed the install
      process to a T. I have a desktop system that installed and run
      perpect. I have even tried to run 'setup'. This reported that
      the '/etc/sysconfig/mouse' file had an error at line 5. The console
      mouse works fine though.

      The question I have is can someone tell me the options they chose for
      video, mouse, monitor etc during thier install. I would even settle
      for the actual configuration file to compare to mine.

      Also, here are my laptop specs:

      Dell Inspiron 8000
      1Ghz processor
      512M RAM
      48G Drive
      15" UXGA Display
    • Stephen Lau
      Message 2 of 6 , Aug 1, 2001
        'setup'? i didn't know configuring Linux was so easy as to run 'setup'.
        :)

        if you look in the files section you'll see many X configuration files
        that will probably work for you. it would help if you said which video
        card you had (ATI or GeForce)

        -steve

        On Thu, Aug 02, 2001 at 12:09:08AM -0000, fpm@... wrote:
        > Hi All,
        >
        > I just received my new Dell i8000 last week. It arrived with Windows
        > ME. I promptly installed Windows2000 on one partition and Red Hat 7.1
        > on another.
        >
        > I am having trouble getting the X display installed and running. The
        > test based programs run fine. I thought I followed the install
        > process to a T. I have a desktop system that installed and run
        > perpect. I have even tried to run 'setup'. This reported that
        > the '/etc/sysconfig/mouse' file had an error at line 5. The console
        > mouse works fine though.
        >
        > The question I have is can someone tell me the options they chose for
        > video, mouse, monitor etc during thier install. I would even settle
        > for the actual configuration file to compare to mine.
        >
        > Also, here are my laptop specs:
        >
        > Dell Inspiron 8000
        > 1Ghz processor
        > 512M RAM
        > 48G Drive
        > 15" UXGA Display

        "It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to open one's mouth and remove all doubt."
      • mavin
        Message 3 of 6 , Aug 1, 2001

          Look at the files section of the yahoo groups pages.

          mn

          Message 4 of 6 , Aug 1, 2001
            I know it may seem funny. But there is a 'setup' command you can run
            from the command line. It brings up a color console window and allows
            you to chose form a list of what you would like to configure. Some of
            the options are Network, mouse etc. The very last option is the 'X
            Configuration'.

            I have the NVIDIA GeForce w/32M.

            Thanks

            http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

            > --
            > stephen lau :: [slau@u...] :: www.whacked.net :: ucsd/cse grad
            student
            > "It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to open
            one's mouth and remove all doubt."
          • Ravi Pratap M
            Message 5 of 6 , Aug 1, 2001
              Hi there,

              On Thu, 2 Aug 2001 fpm@... wrote:

              > I know it may seem funny. But there is a 'setup' command you can run
              > from the command line. It brings up a color console window and allows

              Indeed there is :-) It is quite handy when you want to perform
              simple tasks like set which services should be started etc.

              Newbies find it nice because they see they can do a couple of
              things all form one place without remembering too many config file
              locations :-)

              Regards,

              Ravi

              --
              "If you're smart, you'll be humble. There always is somebody
              who hasn't read a book and knows twice as much as you do."

              -- David Duchovny in Readers' Digest

              Ravi Pratap M <ravi@...>
              <http://www.iitm.ac.in/~ravi>
            • Stephen Lau
              Message 6 of 6 , Aug 1, 2001
                wow... didn't know such a command existed. i guess Red Hat is tailoring
                their distribution to a wider crowd now, which hopefully will address the
                inherent difficulties in configuring linux. i'm impressed. (i still
                think i prefer Debian though <g>.. nothing beats apt-get)

                in any case...yeah, check the files section - numerous people have posted
                their I8K with G2G XF86Config files...

                cheers,
                steve