Re: [linux-dell-laptops] Mouse trippiness

  • Gary Herron
    Message 1 of 3 , Aug 1, 2001
      On Wednesday 01 August 2001 06:58, Charlie Schmidt wrote:
      > -
      >
      > I purchased an i8000 a while ago, and have been pretty
      > pleased with it up until now.
      >
      > About a week ago the touchpad started... tripping
      > out. Holding down Alt, or Ctrl, or Backspace, or any
      > number of keys would make the pointer move around a bit,
      > and today, it has started moving on its own. The problem
      > was "solved" by killing X and gpm and starting both up
      > again. But I expect it to start happening again pretty
      > soon.
      >
      > Has anyone else experieneced this problem, if so, is it
      > best to insist Dell send me a new laptop, or what?

      Yes!! I get this behavior often when the right Shift key is held
      down. The cursor performs a little Brownian walk on the screen.

      Before I configured X to use both the touchpad and the USB mouse, this
      never occurred, and since I've recently started using both, I've not
      had enough time notice any definite patterns. However, I *believe*
      that restarting X eliminates it for a while. Also when I'm in windows
      (where both the touchpad and mouse are active), I often get the same
      behavior. This makes me believe it is a hardware problem.

      Gary.
    • Lars Hagstrom
      Message 2 of 3 , Aug 7, 2001
        I'm not sure whether this still applies, or if it is something that has been resolved a long time ago. I seem to remember reading (in one of my first encounters with Linux) that gpm should never run at the same time as X.

        Lars