Re: [linux-dell-laptops] C800 with dock II and external monitor

  • Stephen Lau
    Message 1 of 7 , Jul 31, 2001
      Hi Fredrik,
      The problem is that "UseBIOSDisplay" doesn't actually
      work...it's commented out in the driver source. You won't be able to
      get your dock/monitor working with X 4.0.3. If you upgrade to X 4.1.0
      (not hard to do) then there is an option:
      Option "Display" "BIOS"
      This will do what you want it to do... i.e.: when not docked, it will
      use the LCD - and when docked, it will use the external monitor.

      The other alterntaive, is that (on my I8K anyway) - you can dock
      your laptop but leave the LCD still open. When you startx, X will show
      up on the LCD only - you can then hit Fn-F8 to switch it to the external
      monitor. This works, but won't let you use the convenient monitor
      stand. :)

      -steve

      On Tue, Jul 31, 2001 at 01:26:02PM +0200, Fredrik Nygren wrote:
      > Hi,
      > I have a C800 which runs Red Hat 7.1 and XFree86 (version: 4.0.3). My problem
      > occur when I startx and the computer is connected to the docking station Dell
      > C/Dock II. The screen gets black and it seems like I have no video signal.
      > The only way to get back to the command line is to switch the power button, a
      > hard reboot.
      > I want to use my laptop together with Dell's external monitor P991. How do I
      > configure my XF86Config-4 to work with the external monitor and the docking
      > station?
      >
      > Section device in XF86Config-4looks like this:
      >
      > Section "Device"
      > Identifier "ATI Rage 128 Mobility"
      > VendorName "ATI"
      > BoardName "Rage 128 Mobility LF (AGP)"
      > Option "AGPMode" "2"
      > Option "UseBIOSDisplay"
      > Driver "r128"
      > EndSection
      >
      > Best regards
      > /Fredrik Nygren

      "It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to open one's mouth and remove all doubt."
    • brieg_fallow@hotmail.com
      Message 2 of 7 , Nov 13, 2001
        I am running Mandrake 8.1, on a Dell Latitude c800 in a docking
        station with a Dell P1110 (21") monitor.

        The alternative method works (boot with LCD panel open and switch to
        external). I am running XFree86 v 4.1.0 (with 3D hardware
        acceleration - if it matters since my card can support it).

        Can you explain the following a little better??

        The problem is that "UseBIOSDisplay" doesn't actually work...it's
        commented out in the driver source. You won't be able to get your
        dock/monitor working with X 4.0.3. If you upgrade to X 4.1.0 (not
        hard to do) then there is an option:
        Option "Display" "BIOS"
        This will do what you want it to do... i.e.: when not docked, it will
        use the LCD - and when docked, it will use the external monitor.

        Any assistance would be appreciated.
      • Stephen Lau
        Message 3 of 7 , Nov 13, 2001
          in your adapter section, put that line there...

          Message 4 of 7 , Nov 13, 2001
            I dont suppose you would want to log onto Dal.NET #linuxhelp and walk
            me through this... I tried placing that information, and it still
            did not function. I may have it in the wrong location..??

            http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

            > --
            > stephen lau :: [slau@u...] :: www.whacked.net :: ucsd/cse grad
            student
            > gpg key id: 0x09E5CD21 via keyservers, or on my website
          • Stephen Lau
            Message 5 of 7 , Nov 13, 2001
              I'm logged in there right now...what's your nick?

              Message 6 of 7 , Nov 13, 2001
                try #linux and look for my nick "brieg". having ident issues..unable
                to access #linuxhelp at the moment..