RH7 installation problems on I8k

  • Don wind
    Message 1 of 6 , Jul 26, 2001
      I have a new I8k with 384 Megs of RAM, and a 48GB hard drive. I Have
      a 10 GB partition (hda1) for Windows Me, but I want to use RH7 as my
      main operating system. I was able to install in Text mode, but My
      first error was during the Lilo portion of the install. IO could not
      read the error. I assume it was because of the LBA32 problem. When
      I'm able to get into RH I should be able to edit my /etc/lilo.conf to
      resolve that. Mt bigger problem is a system panic during the RH start-
      up tests. Towards the end of the start-up test. I get a

      "Kernel Panic : Attempting to kill the idle task! In interupt handler
      - not syncing"

      Adn the system halts. I can't scroll up to get anymore info on this
      error. Anyone else had this kind of problem?
    • Donghai YU
      Message 2 of 6 , Jul 26, 2001
        helo, i suppose your problem is about the PCMCIA driver. And there are 2 solutions:
        1. download a new PCMCIA driver, http://www.sourceforge.net, and install it. (Push "i" when boot up to get into interactive mode, choose "n" to PCMCIA and then you get a chance to start your RH7 to do installation work.
        2. upgrade to RH7.1, it works well. no additional work needed for PCMCIA drivers.
        hope this could helps. good luck.

        donghai

        I have a new I8k with 384 Megs of RAM, and a 48GB hard drive. I Have
        a 10 GB partition (hda1) for Windows Me, but I want to use RH7 as my
        main operating system. I was able to install in Text mode, but My
        first error was during the Lilo portion of the install. IO could not
        read the error. I assume it was because of the LBA32 problem. When
        I'm able to get into RH I should be able to edit my /etc/lilo.conf to
        resolve that. Mt bigger problem is a system panic during the RH start-
        up tests. Towards the end of the start-up test. I get a

        "Kernel Panic : Attempting to kill the idle task! In interupt handler
        - not syncing"

        Adn the system halts. I can't scroll up to get anymore info on this
        error. Anyone else had this kind of problem?

        Small business owners...
        Tell us what you think!
        http://us.click.yahoo.com/vO1FAB/txzCAA/ySSFAA/s5T0lB/TM
        Message 3 of 6 , Aug 2, 2001
          I had what may be a similar problem to what you are facing and was
          reminded that the boot partition of Linux has to be located below
          cylinder 1024 or problems result. I had to install four times before
          I found my solution. All went fine with two of the four installs
          only to get a boot disk made and it would error out after mounting
          the drive.

          I had to partition my Windows so I had enough room for Linux to be
          below cylinder 1024. It seems to be working fine now.

          --- In linux-dell-laptops@y..., "Don wind" <don_wind@y...> wrote:
          > I have a new I8k with 384 Megs of RAM, and a 48GB hard drive. I
          Have
          > a 10 GB partition (hda1) for Windows Me, but I want to use RH7 as
          my
          > main operating system. I was able to install in Text mode, but My
          > first error was during the Lilo portion of the install. IO could
          not
          > read the error. I assume it was because of the LBA32 problem. When
          > I'm able to get into RH I should be able to edit my /etc/lilo.conf
          > resolve that. Mt bigger problem is a system panic during the RH
          start-
          > up tests. Towards the end of the start-up test. I get a
          >
          > "Kernel Panic : Attempting to kill the idle task! In interupt
          handler
          > - not syncing"
          >
          > Adn the system halts. I can't scroll up to get anymore info on this
          > error. Anyone else had this kind of problem?
        • Chris Chambliss
          Message 4 of 6 , Aug 2, 2001
            I guess it's a new version of LILO that comes with RH7.1, but the cylinder
            1024 thing is fixed with 7.1...

            > I had what may be a similar problem to what you are facing and was
            > reminded that the boot partition of Linux has to be located below
            > cylinder 1024 or problems result. I had to install four times before
            > I found my solution. All went fine with two of the four installs
            > only to get a boot disk made and it would error out after mounting
            > the drive.
            >
            > I had to partition my Windows so I had enough room for Linux to be
            > below cylinder 1024. It seems to be working fine now.
            >
            > --- In linux-dell-laptops@y..., "Don wind" <don_wind@y...> wrote:
            > > I have a new I8k with 384 Megs of RAM, and a 48GB hard drive. I
            > Have
            > > a 10 GB partition (hda1) for Windows Me, but I want to use RH7 as
            > my
            > > main operating system. I was able to install in Text mode, but My
            > > first error was during the Lilo portion of the install. IO could
            > not
            > > read the error. I assume it was because of the LBA32 problem. When
            > > I'm able to get into RH I should be able to edit my /etc/lilo.conf
            > > resolve that. Mt bigger problem is a system panic during the RH
            > start-
            > > up tests. Towards the end of the start-up test. I get a
            > >
            > > "Kernel Panic : Attempting to kill the idle task! In interupt
            > handler
            > > - not syncing"
            > >
            > > Adn the system halts. I can't scroll up to get anymore info on this
            > > error. Anyone else had this kind of problem?

          • J. Orrell
            Message 5 of 6 , Aug 3, 2001
              Chris,

              Is this really true? I was not able to get RH7.1 to boot when I
              attempted to put the /boot above 1024. I moved it lower and sure enough it
              is all happy.

              Now maybe I'll get a couple grumbles here... but I would love to
              be able to ignore the 1024 rule because I would like to have more room for
              WinMe. Yes, that's right I'd like to put a few apps onto that Microshafted
              OS and then have some space to fool around with.

              I guess an alternative would be to have my partitions ordered differently.

              I have currently: (fdisk -l)

              Disk /dev/hda: 255 heads, 63 sectors, 5836 cylinders
              Units = cylinders of 16065 * 512 bytes

              Device Boot Start End Blocks Id System
              /dev/hda1 71 835 6144862+ b Win95 FAT32 (WinME)
              /dev/hda2 * 1 70 562243+ 84 OS/2 hidden C: drive (s2d)
              /dev/hda3 836 840 40162+ 83 Linux (/boot)
              /dev/hda4 841 5836 40130370 f Win95 Ext'd (LBA) (xtnded)
              /dev/hda5 841 971 1052226 82 Linux swap (swap)
              /dev/hda6 972 1277 2457913+ 83 Linux ( / )
              /dev/hda7 1278 2552 10241406 83 Linux (/usr/local)
              /dev/hda8 2553 5836 26378698+ 83 Linux (/home)

              So I know I have some partitioning problems. I tell you this, I get LILO
              to give me a choice on boot even though s2d has '*'. Last time I tried s2d
              it reloaded but was extremely slow and unresponsive.

              Is there any reason why I can't move the /boot in front of the WinME? Will
              WinMe all of a sudden think it is looking at drive D: instead of C:?

              Comments, recommendations appreciated.

              Yours,
              John O.

              On Fri, 3 Aug 2001, Chris Chambliss wrote:

              > I guess it's a new version of LILO that comes with RH7.1, but the cylinder
              > 1024 thing is fixed with 7.1...

              "I accidentally climbed down the face of Mt. Muir." - BDM
            • Stephen Lau
              Message 6 of 6 , Aug 3, 2001
                On Fri, Aug 03, 2001 at 08:52:44PM -0700, J. Orrell wrote:
                > Is this really true? I was not able to get RH7.1 to boot when I
                > attempted to put the /boot above 1024. I moved it lower and sure enough it
                > is all happy.

                Yup...the version of LILO (21.4-4) breaks the 1024 limit, and I was able
                to have my boot partition higher than 1024 without any problems.

                > Is there any reason why I can't move the /boot in front of the WinME? Will
                > WinMe all of a sudden think it is looking at drive D: instead of C:?

                Shouldn't be a problem because Windows will just look at the partition
                and not recognise it, so it won't even assign a drive letter to it.

                cheers,
                steve
                "It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to open one's mouth and remove all doubt."