Worldwide Meeting

  • stuart@bh90210.net
    Message 1 of 7 , Jul 20, 2001
      Linux Dell Laptop users:

      I am curious, has anyone thought about having a worldwide list
      members meeting at Linuxworld? I think it would be a nice idea to get
      to meet each other!

      I plan to attend Linuxworld (as I am sure most of you also do plan on
      it) so why not?

      If there is interest in this, then I will start to work to plan a way
      we can all meet there.

      If you are interested, please post which evening would be best for
      you to have a dinner somewhere to meet. As well, where you plan to be
      staying (area, and hotel if you know), and anything else you feel
      important.

      Thanks,

      Stuart
      Beverly Hills, CA
    • Stephen Lau
      Message 2 of 7 , Jul 20, 2001
        I'd like to...but alas, I can't get out of work. :(
        Speaking of which, if anyone wants a free exhibits pass (in case they've
        stopped giving 'em out) and doesn't mind being known as "Stephen Lau" on
        the badge, you're more than welcome to my exhibits pass. :)

        cheers,
        steve
        (man, i really wanted to get more free linux goodies this year...i've
        gone the past couple of years, and it's always been really fun)

        On Fri, Jul 20, 2001 at 05:51:56PM -0000, stuart@... wrote:
        > Linux Dell Laptop users:
        >
        > I am curious, has anyone thought about having a worldwide list
        > members meeting at Linuxworld? I think it would be a nice idea to get
        > to meet each other!
        >
        > I plan to attend Linuxworld (as I am sure most of you also do plan on
        > it) so why not?
        >
        > If there is interest in this, then I will start to work to plan a way
        > we can all meet there.
        >
        > If you are interested, please post which evening would be best for
        > you to have a dinner somewhere to meet. As well, where you plan to be
        > staying (area, and hotel if you know), and anything else you feel
        > important.
        >
        > Thanks,
        >
        > Stuart
        > Beverly Hills, CA

        "It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to open one's mouth and remove all doubt."
      • degt@hotmail.com
        Message 3 of 7 , Jul 29, 2001
          --- In linux-dell-laptops@y..., stuart@b... wrote:
          > Linux Dell Laptop users:
          >
          > I am curious, has anyone thought about having a worldwide list
          > members meeting at Linuxworld? I think it would be a nice idea to

          With the prices charged for admissions to these
          conferences (not just Linux conferences) I simply
          stay out of them...
        • lgreenwa@cts.com
          Message 4 of 7 , Jul 30, 2001
            The largest chunk of change you have to spend is mostly for the
            conference meetings themselves.

            If you paid attention to the LinuxWorldExpo web site, you would have
            noticed that entrance to the exhibit hall itself (as well as some of
            the smaller sessions) is ... FREE!!! (assuming you got your
            registration in on time).

            That's all I want to go to anyway (get all the doodads and freebies
            they give away!). At most I'm paying for airfare (San Diego to San
            Francisco) and the hotel near the Moscone center (and they just
            lowered the per night price on that, too!)

            --LG

            --- In linux-dell-laptops@y..., degt@h... wrote:
            > --- In linux-dell-laptops@y..., stuart@b... wrote:
            > > Linux Dell Laptop users:
            > >
            > > I am curious, has anyone thought about having a worldwide list
            > > members meeting at Linuxworld? I think it would be a nice idea to
            >
            > With the prices charged for admissions to these
            > conferences (not just Linux conferences) I simply
            > stay out of them...
          • Stephen Lau
            Message 5 of 7 , Jul 30, 2001
              On Mon, Jul 30, 2001 at 09:48:48PM -0000, lgreenwa@... wrote:
              > The largest chunk of change you have to spend is mostly for the
              > conference meetings themselves.
              >
              > If you paid attention to the LinuxWorldExpo web site, you would have
              > noticed that entrance to the exhibit hall itself (as well as some of
              > the smaller sessions) is ... FREE!!! (assuming you got your
              > registration in on time).
              >
              > That's all I want to go to anyway (get all the doodads and freebies
              > they give away!). At most I'm paying for airfare (San Diego to San
              > Francisco) and the hotel near the Moscone center (and they just
              > lowered the per night price on that, too!)

              Rock on San Diego... :) Where from San Diego are you? I'm in La Jolla
              studying at UCSD, and working over in Mira Mesa.

              Yeah - the exhibit hall is free (and well worth the trip), I won't be
              able to go this year unfortunately, but i've had a blast all the
              previous years I've gone. (http://www.linuxworldexpo.com, i believe you
              can still sign up for a free exhibits pass).

              -steve

              Message 6 of 7 , Jul 31, 2001
                --- In linux-dell-laptops@y..., degt@h... wrote:
                > --- In linux-dell-laptops@y..., stuart@b... wrote:
                > > Linux Dell Laptop users:
                > >
                > > I am curious, has anyone thought about having a worldwide list
                > > members meeting at Linuxworld? I think it would be a nice idea to
                >
                > With the prices charged for admissions to these
                > conferences (not just Linux conferences) I simply
                > stay out of them...

                Thank g-d your stupidity is eclipsed by your lazyieness! I must admit
                it is quite impressive when someone can actually in their mouth and
                still be able to talk out of both sides of it at the same time.

                Next time do a bit of research!

                It is a totally free conference for the exhibits, as most
                professional conferences are, if you sing up on time you nimrod.

                Stuart
              • jsc3@havoc.gtf.org
                Message 7 of 7 , Jul 31, 2001
                  > --- In linux-dell-laptops@y..., degt@h... wrote:
                  > > --- In linux-dell-laptops@y..., stuart@b... wrote:
                  > > > Linux Dell Laptop users:
                  > > >
                  > > > I am curious, has anyone thought about having a worldwide list
                  > > > members meeting at Linuxworld? I think it would be a nice idea to
                  > >
                  > > With the prices charged for admissions to these
                  > > conferences (not just Linux conferences) I simply
                  > > stay out of them...
                  >
                  > Thank g-d your stupidity is eclipsed by your lazyieness! I must admit
                  > it is quite impressive when someone can actually in their mouth and
                  > still be able to talk out of both sides of it at the same time.

                  Ouch! ;)

                  > Next time do a bit of research!

                  Excellent advice.

                  > It is a totally free conference for the exhibits, as most
                  > professional conferences are, if you sing up on time you nimrod.

                  Yeah, this is the funny part. Complaining about prices when
                  general admission is typically free. Often you don't even
                  need to respond by a certain date, you can show up during the
                  shows and usually get a free pass. If you can't get into the
                  general exhibits for free, you are well and truly a loser.

                  Certainly the tutorials and other educational add-ons are not
                  generally cheap, and setting up a booth can cost quite a lot
                  at some of them, but just attending and walking through the
                  exhibits should not be any more expensive than transportation
                  and lodging, so if you live close to where a show is being
                  held (I am lucky to be in Atlanta for this kind of thing),
                  the cost can be essentially zero.

                  --
                  John Cronin