Re: RE: [linux-dell-laptops] pcmcia and networking settings

  • ehamish@hotmail.com
    Message 1 of 9 , Apr 24, 2000
      It's working! Thanks for your replies!

      It was the "Network wake up problem"

      I carefully checked all the nework settings and eventually
      modified the /etc/pcmcia/network.opts by hand and didn't use
      linuxconf.

      As Mary says, after reboot ping would initially hang, and only come to
      life after a couple of minutes! I was changing the settings,
      rebooting, and using ping to test if the new settings were working.
      When ping couldn't find the network, I was assuming that it was a
      settings problems and would try modifying a different file. It was
      only when I went for frustrated cup of coffeee, leaving ping trying,
      that I found the problem!!! After it comes to life everything works
      fine.

      Looking in var log messages there are a couple of lines which say

      kernal: eth0: transmit timed out, tx_status 00 status e000
      kernal: eth0: Tx Ring full, refused to send buffer

      I'll try the script idea to stop and start pcmcia and network
      services to see if that solves it!

      The same card under windows comes to life immediately

      Thanks again for your help,

      Hamish

      --- In linux-dell-laptops@egroups.com, "John Taylor" <john@b...>

      ----------------------

      ----------------------
    • slashdap@hotmail.com
      Message 2 of 9 , Apr 28, 2000
        I've had similar problems with my card (a Xircom). The way I solved
        it was to remove the broadcast address from the ifconfig line inside
        /etc/pcmcia/network (commented out the broadcast $BC or whatever it
        was). With that removed, everything works. I have no idea why.

        PS: I also have no trouble with it under windows.

      • Matt Hammond
        Message 3 of 9 , May 19, 2000
          I'm glad somebody on here knows what they're doing. I am fairly new
          to Linux setup. I've been working on this problem since december off
          and on. Finally everything is working but the NIC. I have the BT
          version. Could one of you guys post or e-mail me detailed
          instructions on which files to edit and what to change and which
          options to choose in the configuration? Actual files would probably
          be beneficial. I would really appreciate any help!

        • j.l.bamber@bris.ac.uk
          Message 4 of 9 , May 25, 2000
            --- In linux-dell-laptops@egroups.com, "Matt Hammond" <mhammond@b...>
            wrote:
            > I'm glad somebody on here knows what they're doing. I am fairly
            new
            > to Linux setup. I've been working on this problem since december
            off
            > and on. Finally everything is working but the NIC. I have the BT
            > version. Could one of you guys post or e-mail me detailed
            > instructions on which files to edit and what to change and which
            > options to choose in the configuration? Actual files would
            probably
            > be beneficial. I would really appreciate any help!

            Right. If anyone is replying to the above message I would also
            appreciate the patches or details of changes required to get the NIC
            working at login. I can get the network up if I allow ping to run for
            a while but this means that other network service don't work because
            of the failure of the network at login.