RE: [linux-dell-laptops] pcmcia and networking settings

  • John Taylor
    Message 1 of 9 , Apr 22, 2000
      Another tip I have for this situation is to write a small shell script that
      simply stop the PCMCIA service and the network service. It then starts the
      pcmcia service, waits 15 seconds and then starts the network service. I think
      if they are started to close to each other, they do not go right.

      Message 2 of 9 , Apr 24, 2000
        It's working! Thanks for your replies!

        It was the "Network wake up problem"

        I carefully checked all the nework settings and eventually
        modified the /etc/pcmcia/network.opts by hand and didn't use
        linuxconf.

        As Mary says, after reboot ping would initially hang, and only come to
        life after a couple of minutes! I was changing the settings,
        rebooting, and using ping to test if the new settings were working.
        When ping couldn't find the network, I was assuming that it was a
        settings problems and would try modifying a different file. It was
        only when I went for frustrated cup of coffeee, leaving ping trying,
        that I found the problem!!! After it comes to life everything works
        fine.

        Looking in var log messages there are a couple of lines which say

        kernal: eth0: transmit timed out, tx_status 00 status e000
        kernal: eth0: Tx Ring full, refused to send buffer

        I'll try the script idea to stop and start pcmcia and network
        services to see if that solves it!

        The same card under windows comes to life immediately

        Thanks again for your help,

        Hamish

        --- In linux-dell-laptops@egroups.com, "John Taylor" <john@b...>

        ----------------------

      • slashdap@hotmail.com
        Message 3 of 9 , Apr 28, 2000
          I've had similar problems with my card (a Xircom). The way I solved
          it was to remove the broadcast address from the ifconfig line inside
          /etc/pcmcia/network (commented out the broadcast $BC or whatever it
          was). With that removed, everything works. I have no idea why.

          PS: I also have no trouble with it under windows.

        • Matt Hammond
          Message 4 of 9 , May 19, 2000
            I'm glad somebody on here knows what they're doing. I am fairly new
            to Linux setup. I've been working on this problem since december off
            and on. Finally everything is working but the NIC. I have the BT
            version. Could one of you guys post or e-mail me detailed
            instructions on which files to edit and what to change and which
            options to choose in the configuration? Actual files would probably
            be beneficial. I would really appreciate any help!

          • j.l.bamber@bris.ac.uk
            Message 5 of 9 , May 25, 2000
              --- In linux-dell-laptops@egroups.com, "Matt Hammond" <mhammond@b...>
              wrote:
              > I'm glad somebody on here knows what they're doing. I am fairly
              new
              > to Linux setup. I've been working on this problem since december
              off
              > and on. Finally everything is working but the NIC. I have the BT
              > version. Could one of you guys post or e-mail me detailed
              > instructions on which files to edit and what to change and which
              > options to choose in the configuration? Actual files would
              probably
              > be beneficial. I would really appreciate any help!

              Right. If anyone is replying to the above message I would also
              appreciate the patches or details of changes required to get the NIC
              working at login. I can get the network up if I allow ping to run for
              a while but this means that other network service don't work because
              of the failure of the network at login.