Re: [linux-dell-laptops] pcmcia and networking settings

  • Mary Gastil
    Message 1 of 9 , Apr 22, 2000
      EHamish,

      this might be a useful clue:
      (I too was having my pcmcia net card sometimes working, sometimes not,
      on a Dell Inspiron7500 running RH6.1 with the pcmcia vers 3.1.14 and
      a 3Com 3CCFE575)

      After I boot up, the first ping says no connection.
      But if I let that first ping to an outside host just keep pinging
      away, trying, after a few dozen tries it starts finding the ip address.
      then all subsequent net stuff works.
      I donno why this is.
      It is like my network has to "wake up".
      It doesnt "wake up" if I dont make it try to ping.

      I went to a install-fest today and one of the guys who knows stuff
      said that he had observed that sort of thing before.

      try it.

      -mary
    • John Taylor
      Message 2 of 9 , Apr 22, 2000
        Another tip I have for this situation is to write a small shell script that
        simply stop the PCMCIA service and the network service. It then starts the
        pcmcia service, waits 15 seconds and then starts the network service. I think
        if they are started to close to each other, they do not go right.

        (I too was having my pcmcia net card sometimes working, sometimes not,
        on a Dell Inspiron7500 running RH6.1 with the pcmcia vers 3.1.14 and
        a 3Com 3CCFE575)

        After I boot up, the first ping says no connection.
        But if I let that first ping to an outside host just keep pinging
        away, trying, after a few dozen tries it starts finding the ip address.
        then all subsequent net stuff works.
        I donno why this is.
        It is like my network has to "wake up".
        It doesnt "wake up" if I dont make it try to ping.

        I went to a install-fest today and one of the guys who knows stuff
        said that he had observed that sort of thing before.

        try it.

        -mary

        Your high school sweetheart-where is he now? With 4.4 million alumni
        already registered at Classmates.com, there's a good chance you'll
        find her here. Visit your online high school class reunion at:
        http://click.egroups.com/1/3139/4/_/4243/_/956440990/
      • (no author)
        Message 3 of 9 , Apr 22, 2000
        • ehamish@hotmail.com
          Message 4 of 9 , Apr 24, 2000
            It's working! Thanks for your replies!

            It was the "Network wake up problem"

            I carefully checked all the nework settings and eventually
            modified the /etc/pcmcia/network.opts by hand and didn't use
            linuxconf.

            As Mary says, after reboot ping would initially hang, and only come to
            life after a couple of minutes! I was changing the settings,
            rebooting, and using ping to test if the new settings were working.
            When ping couldn't find the network, I was assuming that it was a
            settings problems and would try modifying a different file. It was
            only when I went for frustrated cup of coffeee, leaving ping trying,
            that I found the problem!!! After it comes to life everything works
            fine.

            Looking in var log messages there are a couple of lines which say

            kernal: eth0: transmit timed out, tx_status 00 status e000
            kernal: eth0: Tx Ring full, refused to send buffer

            I'll try the script idea to stop and start pcmcia and network
            services to see if that solves it!

            The same card under windows comes to life immediately

            Thanks again for your help,

            Hamish

            --- In linux-dell-laptops@egroups.com, "John Taylor" <john@b...>

            ----------------------

          • slashdap@hotmail.com
            Message 5 of 9 , Apr 28, 2000
              I've had similar problems with my card (a Xircom). The way I solved
              it was to remove the broadcast address from the ifconfig line inside
              /etc/pcmcia/network (commented out the broadcast $BC or whatever it
              was). With that removed, everything works. I have no idea why.

              PS: I also have no trouble with it under windows.

            • Matt Hammond
              Message 6 of 9 , May 19 9:50 PM
                I'm glad somebody on here knows what they're doing. I am fairly new
                to Linux setup. I've been working on this problem since december off
                and on. Finally everything is working but the NIC. I have the BT
                version. Could one of you guys post or e-mail me detailed
                instructions on which files to edit and what to change and which
                options to choose in the configuration? Actual files would probably
                be beneficial. I would really appreciate any help!

              • j.l.bamber@bris.ac.uk
                Message 7 of 9 , May 25 9:31 AM
                  --- In linux-dell-laptops@egroups.com, "Matt Hammond" <mhammond@b...>
                  wrote:
                  > I'm glad somebody on here knows what they're doing. I am fairly
                  new
                  > to Linux setup. I've been working on this problem since december
                  off
                  > and on. Finally everything is working but the NIC. I have the BT
                  > version. Could one of you guys post or e-mail me detailed
                  > instructions on which files to edit and what to change and which
                  > options to choose in the configuration? Actual files would
                  probably
                  > be beneficial. I would really appreciate any help!

                  Right. If anyone is replying to the above message I would also
                  appreciate the patches or details of changes required to get the NIC
                  working at login. I can get the network up if I allow ping to run for
                  a while but this means that other network service don't work because
                  of the failure of the network at login.