Re: pcmcia and networking settings

  • gastil@lifesci.ucsb.edu
    Message 1 of 9 , Apr 21 1:51 PM
      Hello Hamish,

      I am having a similar problem. Yesterday afternoon my NIC did
      start working after I hot-swapped it. Someone from another
      newsgroup, kplug-newbie@..., tells me I couldnve
      done that easier with
      # cardctl eject
      # cardctl insert

      That seemed to make the NIC come alive. (Mine is a
      3Com 3CCFE757BT. I also had to upgrade to pcmcia 3.1.14)

      The bummer is that thismorning that trick didnt work anymore.
      I am hoping someone replies to you and that answer will help
      me too. Meanwhile, I am finding useful info about your last
      question in the O'REILLY book Running LINUX, 3rd ed,
      Chapter 15, pg 525-531.

      My system is Dell Inspiron7500, RH6.1 2.2.12-20 so my guess
      is what works for you will work for me.

      --- In linux-dell-laptops@egroups.com, ehamish@h... wrote:
      > Hi everyone,
      >
      > I'm trying to get a 3Com 3CCFE575CT-D working on a Dell Inspiron
      > 3800 running Red Hat 6.1 (kernal 2.12.12-20).
      >
      > I've installed the David Hinds pcmcia-cs-3.1.14, as the original
      > pcmcia does not support the CT card. I also added
      > PCIC_OPTS="do_scan=0" to the /etc/sysconfig/pcmcia file.
      >
      > After playing around with various network settings, I somehow
      managed
      > to get it working!!! ping/telnet fine etc. However, after rebooting
      > it now won't work again, and I can't remember the exact network
      > setup!!! I try to ping/telnet and it can't find anywhere...
      >
      > I think linuxconf may be causing some problems, as the HOWTO says it
      > can interfere with the PCMCIA subsystem????
      >
      > Does anyone know the exact combination and content that is needed
      > in the following networking files. Have I missed out any??? Also
      > think installing pcmcia-cs-3.1.14 overwrites the original
      > /etc/pcmcia/network script, which one should I be using????
      >
      > Which of these are important...
      >
      > /etc/pcmcia/networks.opts
      >
      > /etc/sysconfig/network
      >
      > /etc/HOSTNAME
      >
      > /etc/hosts
      >
      > /etc/resolv.conf
      >
      > /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/efcfg-eth0
      >
      > Help!!
      >
      > Thanks,
      >
      > Hamish
    • Mary Gastil
      Message 2 of 9 , Apr 22 3:03 PM
        EHamish,

        this might be a useful clue:
        (I too was having my pcmcia net card sometimes working, sometimes not,
        on a Dell Inspiron7500 running RH6.1 with the pcmcia vers 3.1.14 and
        a 3Com 3CCFE575)

        After I boot up, the first ping says no connection.
        But if I let that first ping to an outside host just keep pinging
        away, trying, after a few dozen tries it starts finding the ip address.
        then all subsequent net stuff works.
        I donno why this is.
        It is like my network has to "wake up".
        It doesnt "wake up" if I dont make it try to ping.

        I went to a install-fest today and one of the guys who knows stuff
        said that he had observed that sort of thing before.

        try it.

        -mary
      • John Taylor
        Message 3 of 9 , Apr 22 3:44 PM
          Another tip I have for this situation is to write a small shell script that
          simply stop the PCMCIA service and the network service. It then starts the
          pcmcia service, waits 15 seconds and then starts the network service. I think
          if they are started to close to each other, they do not go right.

          (I too was having my pcmcia net card sometimes working, sometimes not,
          on a Dell Inspiron7500 running RH6.1 with the pcmcia vers 3.1.14 and
          a 3Com 3CCFE575)

          After I boot up, the first ping says no connection.
          But if I let that first ping to an outside host just keep pinging
          away, trying, after a few dozen tries it starts finding the ip address.
          then all subsequent net stuff works.
          I donno why this is.
          It is like my network has to "wake up".
          It doesnt "wake up" if I dont make it try to ping.

          I went to a install-fest today and one of the guys who knows stuff
          said that he had observed that sort of thing before.

          try it.

          -mary

          Your high school sweetheart-where is he now? With 4.4 million alumni
          already registered at Classmates.com, there's a good chance you'll
          find her here. Visit your online high school class reunion at:
          http://click.egroups.com/1/3139/4/_/4243/_/956440990/
        • (no author)
          Message 4 of 9 , Apr 22 4:04 PM
          • ehamish@hotmail.com
            Message 5 of 9 , Apr 24 5:39 AM
              It's working! Thanks for your replies!

              It was the "Network wake up problem"

              I carefully checked all the nework settings and eventually
              modified the /etc/pcmcia/network.opts by hand and didn't use
              linuxconf.

              As Mary says, after reboot ping would initially hang, and only come to
              life after a couple of minutes! I was changing the settings,
              rebooting, and using ping to test if the new settings were working.
              When ping couldn't find the network, I was assuming that it was a
              settings problems and would try modifying a different file. It was
              only when I went for frustrated cup of coffeee, leaving ping trying,
              that I found the problem!!! After it comes to life everything works
              fine.

              Looking in var log messages there are a couple of lines which say

              kernal: eth0: transmit timed out, tx_status 00 status e000
              kernal: eth0: Tx Ring full, refused to send buffer

              I'll try the script idea to stop and start pcmcia and network
              services to see if that solves it!

              The same card under windows comes to life immediately

              Thanks again for your help,

              Hamish

              --- In linux-dell-laptops@egroups.com, "John Taylor" <john@b...>

              ----------------------

            • slashdap@hotmail.com
              Message 6 of 9 , Apr 28 12:13 AM
                I've had similar problems with my card (a Xircom). The way I solved
                it was to remove the broadcast address from the ifconfig line inside
                /etc/pcmcia/network (commented out the broadcast $BC or whatever it
                was). With that removed, everything works. I have no idea why.

                PS: I also have no trouble with it under windows.

              • Matt Hammond
                Message 7 of 9 , May 19, 2000
                  I'm glad somebody on here knows what they're doing. I am fairly new
                  to Linux setup. I've been working on this problem since december off
                  and on. Finally everything is working but the NIC. I have the BT
                  version. Could one of you guys post or e-mail me detailed
                  instructions on which files to edit and what to change and which
                  options to choose in the configuration? Actual files would probably
                  be beneficial. I would really appreciate any help!

                • j.l.bamber@bris.ac.uk
                  Message 8 of 9 , May 25, 2000
                    --- In linux-dell-laptops@egroups.com, "Matt Hammond" <mhammond@b...>
                    wrote:
                    > I'm glad somebody on here knows what they're doing. I am fairly
                    new
                    > to Linux setup. I've been working on this problem since december
                    off
                    > and on. Finally everything is working but the NIC. I have the BT
                    > version. Could one of you guys post or e-mail me detailed
                    > instructions on which files to edit and what to change and which
                    > options to choose in the configuration? Actual files would
                    probably
                    > be beneficial. I would really appreciate any help!

                    Right. If anyone is replying to the above message I would also
                    appreciate the patches or details of changes required to get the NIC
                    working at login. I can get the network up if I allow ping to run for
                    a while but this means that other network service don't work because
                    of the failure of the network at login.