Re: Oracle9i Requirements

  • Andrew McGlashan
    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 13, 2001
      Stuart,

      The requirements for Oracle9i now start at 512 Mb according to the doco. - however, I shouldn't think that would be a 'strict' requirement, your database and/or related software may be a little slower without the proper RAM level.  And of course, you may not want to utilize many of the included features and components anyway.  I am pretty sure that the latest glibc libraries are okay with this new database product release.

      Oracle8i has a lesser requirement for RAM, however, it is problematic for installations against the newer glibc libraries; although some people have stated that they have managed to get this to work - I tried and failed on this score.  With Oracle8i, I would stick with RH6.2; although it is only certified for the RH6.2 Enterprise Edition which I don't have access to and won't pay $US2,500 for....

      From Oracle8i, you must have X-Windows to do the installation.  I once did an install of Oracle using a Linux Desktop as the X-Window for a HPUX machine that didn't have a X-windows display available.  Therefore, one could only presume that any RAM requirements would include X-windows requirements.

      Regards
      AndrewM

      size=3>stuart@...
      >Subject: Re: Digest Number 471 - Memory Upgrade for I 8K
      >
      >Andrew:
      >
      >How
      much memory does Oracle 9i require if running under Linux?

      >I have
      512MB of RAM, is that enough for Oracle9i+Linux+X11?

      >Stuart
      >Beverly Hills,
      CA