Re: System Lock-up on install (insp 7500)

  • Kirk Lowery
    Message 1 of 2 , Apr 20, 2000
      Someone else already pointed out the solution found at
      <http://www.eecs.umich.edu/~steveh/inspiron/>. Note that you can
      download from that page both a modified MACH64 Xserver *and* an
      XF86Config file. These have to be manually placed in the correct
      directories. I'm running Debian 2.1 on an i7.5k and the modified
      Mach64 Xserver and config file works great. The XFree86 home page
      says the Mach64 driver of the latest version of the XFree86 package
      (3.3.6) supports the Rage Mobility chipset.

      RedHat 6.2 comes with XFree86 3.3.6. I would think any RedHat6.2
      installation will do just fine. I don't understand why yours choked;
      it should have recognized the video card. RedHat 6.1 comes with
      XFree86 3.3.5 which does *not* support the Rage Mobility.

      BTW, links to Linux solutions for other models of laptops can be
      found at <http://www.cs.utexas.edu/users/kharker/linux-laptop/>

      HTH,

      Kirk