pcmcia and networking settings

  • ehamish@hotmail.com
    Message 1 of 9 , Apr 20, 2000
      Hi everyone,

      I'm trying to get a 3Com 3CCFE575CT-D working on a Dell Inspiron
      3800 running Red Hat 6.1 (kernal 2.12.12-20).

      I've installed the David Hinds pcmcia-cs-3.1.14, as the original
      pcmcia does not support the CT card. I also added
      PCIC_OPTS="do_scan=0" to the /etc/sysconfig/pcmcia file.

      After playing around with various network settings, I somehow managed
      to get it working!!! ping/telnet fine etc. However, after rebooting
      it now won't work again, and I can't remember the exact network
      setup!!! I try to ping/telnet and it can't find anywhere...

      I think linuxconf may be causing some problems, as the HOWTO says it
      can interfere with the PCMCIA subsystem????

      Does anyone know the exact combination and content that is needed
      in the following networking files. Have I missed out any??? Also I
      think installing pcmcia-cs-3.1.14 overwrites the original
      /etc/pcmcia/network script, which one should I be using????

      Which of these are important...

      /etc/pcmcia/networks.opts

      /etc/sysconfig/network

      /etc/HOSTNAME

      /etc/hosts

      /etc/resolv.conf

      /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/efcfg-eth0

      Help!!

      Thanks,

      Hamish
    • gastil@lifesci.ucsb.edu
      Message 2 of 9 , Apr 21, 2000
        Hello Hamish,

        I am having a similar problem. Yesterday afternoon my NIC did
        start working after I hot-swapped it. Someone from another
        newsgroup, kplug-newbie@..., tells me I couldnve
        done that easier with
        # cardctl eject
        # cardctl insert

        That seemed to make the NIC come alive. (Mine is a
        3Com 3CCFE757BT. I also had to upgrade to pcmcia 3.1.14)

        The bummer is that thismorning that trick didnt work anymore.
        I am hoping someone replies to you and that answer will help
        me too. Meanwhile, I am finding useful info about your last
        question in the O'REILLY book Running LINUX, 3rd ed,
        Chapter 15, pg 525-531.

        My system is Dell Inspiron7500, RH6.1 2.2.12-20 so my guess
        is what works for you will work for me.

        --- In linux-dell-laptops@egroups.com, ehamish@h... wrote:
        > Hi everyone,
        >
        > I'm trying to get a 3Com 3CCFE575CT-D working on a Dell Inspiron
        > 3800 running Red Hat 6.1 (kernal 2.12.12-20).
        >
        > I've installed the David Hinds pcmcia-cs-3.1.14, as the original
        > pcmcia does not support the CT card. I also added
        > PCIC_OPTS="do_scan=0" to the /etc/sysconfig/pcmcia file.
        >
        > After playing around with various network settings, I somehow
        managed
        > to get it working!!! ping/telnet fine etc. However, after rebooting
        > it now won't work again, and I can't remember the exact network
        > setup!!! I try to ping/telnet and it can't find anywhere...
        >
        > I think linuxconf may be causing some problems, as the HOWTO says it
        > can interfere with the PCMCIA subsystem????
        >
        > Does anyone know the exact combination and content that is needed
        > in the following networking files. Have I missed out any??? Also
        > think installing pcmcia-cs-3.1.14 overwrites the original
        > /etc/pcmcia/network script, which one should I be using????
        >
        > Which of these are important...
        >
        > /etc/pcmcia/networks.opts
        >
        > /etc/sysconfig/network
        >
        > /etc/HOSTNAME
        >
        > /etc/hosts
        >
        > /etc/resolv.conf
        >
        > /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/efcfg-eth0
        >
        > Help!!
        >
        > Thanks,
        >
        > Hamish
      • Mary Gastil
        Message 3 of 9 , Apr 22, 2000
          EHamish,

          this might be a useful clue:
          (I too was having my pcmcia net card sometimes working, sometimes not,
          on a Dell Inspiron7500 running RH6.1 with the pcmcia vers 3.1.14 and
          a 3Com 3CCFE575)

          After I boot up, the first ping says no connection.
          But if I let that first ping to an outside host just keep pinging
          away, trying, after a few dozen tries it starts finding the ip address.
          then all subsequent net stuff works.
          I donno why this is.
          It is like my network has to "wake up".
          It doesnt "wake up" if I dont make it try to ping.

          I went to a install-fest today and one of the guys who knows stuff
          said that he had observed that sort of thing before.

          try it.

          -mary
        • John Taylor
          Message 4 of 9 , Apr 22, 2000
            Another tip I have for this situation is to write a small shell script that
            simply stop the PCMCIA service and the network service. It then starts the
            pcmcia service, waits 15 seconds and then starts the network service. I think
            if they are started to close to each other, they do not go right.

            (I too was having my pcmcia net card sometimes working, sometimes not,
            on a Dell Inspiron7500 running RH6.1 with the pcmcia vers 3.1.14 and
            a 3Com 3CCFE575)

            After I boot up, the first ping says no connection.
            But if I let that first ping to an outside host just keep pinging
            away, trying, after a few dozen tries it starts finding the ip address.
            then all subsequent net stuff works.
            I donno why this is.
            It is like my network has to "wake up".
            It doesnt "wake up" if I dont make it try to ping.

            I went to a install-fest today and one of the guys who knows stuff
            said that he had observed that sort of thing before.

            try it.

            -mary

            Your high school sweetheart-where is he now? With 4.4 million alumni
            already registered at Classmates.com, there's a good chance you'll
            find her here. Visit your online high school class reunion at:
            http://click.egroups.com/1/3139/4/_/4243/_/956440990/
          • (no author)
            Message 5 of 9 , Apr 22, 2000
            • ehamish@hotmail.com
              Message 6 of 9 , Apr 24, 2000
                It's working! Thanks for your replies!

                It was the "Network wake up problem"

                I carefully checked all the nework settings and eventually
                modified the /etc/pcmcia/network.opts by hand and didn't use
                linuxconf.

                As Mary says, after reboot ping would initially hang, and only come to
                life after a couple of minutes! I was changing the settings,
                rebooting, and using ping to test if the new settings were working.
                When ping couldn't find the network, I was assuming that it was a
                settings problems and would try modifying a different file. It was
                only when I went for frustrated cup of coffeee, leaving ping trying,
                that I found the problem!!! After it comes to life everything works
                fine.

                Looking in var log messages there are a couple of lines which say

                kernal: eth0: transmit timed out, tx_status 00 status e000
                kernal: eth0: Tx Ring full, refused to send buffer

                I'll try the script idea to stop and start pcmcia and network
                services to see if that solves it!

                The same card under windows comes to life immediately

                Thanks again for your help,

                Hamish

                --- In linux-dell-laptops@egroups.com, "John Taylor" <john@b...>

                ----------------------

              • slashdap@hotmail.com
                Message 7 of 9 , Apr 28, 2000
                  I've had similar problems with my card (a Xircom). The way I solved
                  it was to remove the broadcast address from the ifconfig line inside
                  /etc/pcmcia/network (commented out the broadcast $BC or whatever it
                  was). With that removed, everything works. I have no idea why.

                  PS: I also have no trouble with it under windows.

                • Matt Hammond
                  Message 8 of 9 , May 19, 2000
                    I'm glad somebody on here knows what they're doing. I am fairly new
                    to Linux setup. I've been working on this problem since december off
                    and on. Finally everything is working but the NIC. I have the BT
                    version. Could one of you guys post or e-mail me detailed
                    instructions on which files to edit and what to change and which
                    options to choose in the configuration? Actual files would probably
                    be beneficial. I would really appreciate any help!

                  • j.l.bamber@bris.ac.uk
                    Message 9 of 9 , May 25, 2000
                      --- In linux-dell-laptops@egroups.com, "Matt Hammond" <mhammond@b...>
                      wrote:
                      > I'm glad somebody on here knows what they're doing. I am fairly
                      new
                      > to Linux setup. I've been working on this problem since december
                      off
                      > and on. Finally everything is working but the NIC. I have the BT
                      > version. Could one of you guys post or e-mail me detailed
                      > instructions on which files to edit and what to change and which
                      > options to choose in the configuration? Actual files would
                      probably
                      > be beneficial. I would really appreciate any help!

                      Right. If anyone is replying to the above message I would also
                      appreciate the patches or details of changes required to get the NIC
                      working at login. I can get the network up if I allow ping to run for
                      a while but this means that other network service don't work because
                      of the failure of the network at login.