Re: [linux-dell-laptops] Re: white screen lock up

  • Ryurick M. Hristev
    Message 1 of 13 , Jul 11, 2001
      On Wed, 11 Jul 2001 stuart@... wrote:

      > --- In linux-dell-laptops@y..., basic@n... wrote:
      > > Hi All,
      > > FWIW, I disabled DRI in my XF86Config-4 file, and I still
      > have problems
      > > with white screen lock up on log out. I tried power up / logout
      > several times and the
      > > problem still exists approx 40% of the time.
      > >
      > > Any other suggestions? Is this an ATI thing?

      I am getting those white screen (and fading) about every 10-20
      times when I do a restore from disk or memory
      (I've never been able to run my Linux system more than 24 hrs.).

      > Strictly out of curiosity, has anyone posed this question in the
      > Linux forum on delltalk.dell.com?

      I did post once a Linux question on this issue and received no reply.
      It appears that they are MS Windows exclusive.

      > Has anyone emailed ATI tech support to see if they will work on it,
      > or even have an answer? Given Linux is free, and so liked by
      > technical people, its quite possible some techie at ATI runs linux
      > and has made it work on their laptop personally for fun. We ought to
      > check this out as well.

      My take is that is a BIOS save/restore bug. I recall at least one crash
      when it did it _before_ even asking me for the BIOS & HD password.

      --
      Cheers,
      Ryurick M. Hristev ()..()/^\/^\ -<:-)