Re: [linux-dell-laptops] System Lock-up on install (insp 7500)

  • Jimmy Chen
    Message 1 of 3 , Apr 18, 2000
      I have a Dell Latitude XT CPi, I just installed Linux Mandrake 7.0v2 over the weekend.
      What i did is choose the regulare XVGA with 16bit color for my XConfig, it works great.

      erick_pound@... wrote:

      I have an inspiron 7500 in which i am trying to install red hat 6.2
      The install seems to go fairly smootuntil after it copies the
      packages.  then comes the video config.  I have tried the auto
      config.  no luck.  custom.  no luck.  When it enters the xconfig my
      system locks up.  I've tried a few different drivers with no luck.
      As far as I could find, there is no information to help me.  Any
      suggrestions would be appreciated.  Thanks

      Erick

    • Mary Gastil
      Message 2 of 3 , Apr 19, 2000
        The place to start is
        http://www.eecs.umich.edu/~steveh/inspiron/
        The video config method #1 worked for my Inspiron7500 with a SXGA+
        and RH6.1 exactly as he spells it out.

        erick_pound@... wrote:

        > I have an inspiron 7500 in which i am trying to install red hat 6.2
        > The install seems to go fairly smootuntil after it copies the
        > packages. then comes the video config. I have tried the auto
        > config. no luck. custom. no luck. When it enters the xconfig my
        > system locks up. I've tried a few different drivers with no luck.
        > As far as I could find, there is no information to help me. Any
        > suggrestions would be appreciated. Thanks
        >
        > Erick

        > Enjoy the award-winning journalism of The New York Times with
        > convenient home delivery. And for a limited time, get 50% off for the
        > first 8 weeks by subscribing. Pay by credit card and receive an
        > additional 4 weeks at this low introductory rate.
      • Stefan Geis
        Message 3 of 3 , Apr 19, 2000
          Hi Dave and Erick,

          this is just to give an additional hint on the diagnosis of your
          problem, Erick.

          > I had a similar problem and found that it was caused by the Xserver not
          > supporting the chip set.

          I do not think so, Dave. I had no problems with setting up linux on my
          inspiron 7500 - but I used (hey, I am german...;-) the SUSE
          distribution. As far as I know (which is not very far...) the
          Xserver-thing should not be that different to the Red Hat one. However,
          I can not contribute more to a possible solution of this problem.

          Good luck anyway

          Stefan