Re: [linux-dell-laptops] Re: kinda high-pitched beep/buzz noise when accessing hd

  • Philip P. Dixon
    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 8, 2001
      That's true. I guess I should have been clearer. Anything that he cannot pass
      through lilo, it appears he's passing with the hdparm command in rc.local. I
      was pointing out that /etc/sysconfig/harddisks is the proper place to set these
      options. There's no need to run the hdparm command in the local rc scripts.

      Phil

      jsc3@... wrote:

      > > Why not place these options in your /etc/sysconfig/harddisks file (assuming
      > > you're running RedHat)?
      >
      > One reason I can think of is that if you can do it in LILO, then
      > presumably the higher-performance disk settings would be used as
      > soon as possible (might not be a valid presumption). If you put
      > it in /etc/sysconfig, you would have to wait until the boot process
      > has progressed to a point where the system has mounted root and
      > can read /etc/sysconfig. If you use an hdparm command in rc.local,
      > you have to wait until the boot process is almost finished before
      > you get the performance benefits. So, the earlier in the boot
      > process you can get the benefits of DMA, 32 bit I/O, and multi-sector
      > reads, the faster you should be able to boot, at least theoretically.
      >
      > > Phil
      > >
      > > > normally when I have booted up, I issue:
      > > >
      > > > hdparm -d1 -c3 -m16 -X66 -K1 /dev/hda
      > > >
      > > > I presume placing
      > > > append="idebus=66" in the /etc/lilo.conf will eliminate the "-X66"
      > > > portion of the hdparm string I issue above, but how can I create
      > > > parameters to apply the rest of the string on bootup?
      >
      > --
      > John Cronin
      > mailto: `echo NjsOc3@... | sed 's/[NOSPAM]//g'`

      Phil