X11 problem

  • Tomas Podprocky
    Message 1 of 7 , Jul 5, 2001
      I have a very nasty problem with Suse 7.2 Pro version. I can not
      get the Xwindows to work. During instalation everything goes OK,
      but the setup. I have Geforce2 go gfx card, latest BIOS for
      Inspiron 8000 (A11). I installed the latest version of Xfree and
      downloaded the Nvidia drivers for suse 7.2. Unfortunatelly, each
      time I try to run X, I get the message "failed to inititialize
      Nvidia kernel...". I am using the default Suse kernel, so I
      cannot see any problem with using the default precompiled Nvidia
      kernel. Has anyone experienced this problem?

      Thanks in advance

      Tomas Podprocky

      K chatovaniu je tu http://www.XChat.sk
      Založte si svoj mail na http://mail.centrum.sk
    • Paul Heijman
      Message 2 of 7 , Jul 5, 2001
        read NVIDIA_GLX-1.0-1251/usr/share/doc/LAPTOP_README

        <snip>
        (usually either /etc/conf.modules or /etc/modules.conf):

        options NVdriver NVreg_Mobile=X

        However you specify the option, you should assign it the value:

        "1" if you are using a GeForce2 Go in a Dell laptop
        "2" if you are using a GeForce2 Go in a Toshiba laptop

        <end snip>

      • jpr200012@yahoo.com
        Message 3 of 7 , Jul 5, 2001
          A11 bios is the latest? i still see A10 as latest on dell's site..

          --- In linux-dell-laptops@y..., "Paul Heijman" <yahoo@d...> wrote:
          > read NVIDIA_GLX-1.0-1251/usr/share/doc/LAPTOP_README
          >
          > <snip>
          > (usually either /etc/conf.modules or /etc/modules.conf):
          >
          > options NVdriver NVreg_Mobile=X
          >
          > However you specify the option, you should assign it the value:
          >
          > "1" if you are using a GeForce2 Go in a Dell laptop
          > "2" if you are using a GeForce2 Go in a Toshiba laptop
          >
          > <end snip>

          http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

        • Tomas Podprocky
          Message 4 of 7 , Jul 5, 2001
            Thx, it works!!!!
            but I cannot find the document you are referring to.

            Message 5 of 7 , Jul 5, 2001
              try www.dell.co.uk, I downloaded it from this site...

              > A11 bios is the latest? i still see A10 as latest on dell's
              site..

              K chatovaniu je tu http://www.XChat.sk
              Založte si svoj mail na http://mail.centrum.sk
            • J.D. Hollis
              Message 6 of 7 , Jul 5, 2001
                have you set up your xf86config-4 file properly yet? check out the
                laptop-readme in the kernel tarball from nvidia.

                cheers,
                j.d.

                Message 7 of 7 , Jul 5, 2001
                  actually, I take that back. or rather, I oversimplified. once you get your
                  xf86config-4 file set up (for your sxga+ or uxga display), then you need to
                  add a line to your /etc/modules.conf: 'options NVdriver NVreg_Mobile=1'.
                  that should get your module to initialize properly. also, the laptop_readme
                  that I mentioned is found in the glx tarball, not the kernel tarball. it's
                  late, I just got off work, and I'm going to bed before I pass on any more
                  bad information.

                  cheers,
                  j.d.