computer overheats

  • Joost Kremers
    Message 1 of 15 , Jul 4, 2001
      hi all,

      i'm running SuSE7.1 on a Dell Inspiron 3800 which i bought a few months ago.
      everything has been going fine, all functionality working 'out of the box',
      so to speak. but now i've run into a problem: i downloaded and installed a
      program (actually an MSX emulator: <http://www.komkon.org/fms/fMSX/>), which
      seriously overheats my laptop when i run it.

      the heat is generated on the right back end (i.e., where the backspace key is
      located). more seriously: the fan never kicks in... this is strange, because
      a) the fan is located in the exact same corner; b) the heat is so strong that
      i can feel it through the keyboard.

      does anyone know which piece of hardware is generating this heat? (in other
      words: which piece of hardware is located in this position?)

      what could be the reason that the fan does not start? is this a malfunction,
      or should i alter some settings?

      more in general: how can one program cause such overheating, whereas
      everything else i run hardly heats up the computer at all? normally, i can
      comfortably rest the laptop on my lap, but with this program running i would
      definitely burn my legs...

      any comments would be greatly appreciated.

      TIA,

      joost kremers

      --
      Joost Kremers, M.A.

      University of Nijmegen, the Netherlands
      Department of Languages and Cultures of the Middle-East

      PO Box 9103
      6500 HD Nijmegen
      tel: + 32 24 3612996
      fax: + 32 24 3611972

      http://joostkremers.nijmegennet.nl

      -----------------------

      a computer virus is a program that:

      - spreads like wildfire
      - gets on your computer without you wanting it
      - can cause unexpected system failures and data loss

      pray tell, which part of this definition does *not* apply to Windows?
    • Luis M. Cruz
      Message 2 of 15 , Jul 4, 2001
        El día Wed, Jul 04, 2001 at 02:58:40PM +0200, Joost Kremers escribió:
        > hi all,
        >
        > located). more seriously: the fan never kicks in... this is strange, because
        > a) the fan is located in the exact same corner; b) the heat is so strong that
        > i can feel it through the keyboard.
        >
        > does anyone know which piece of hardware is generating this heat? (in other
        > words: which piece of hardware is located in this position?)

        I'll bet it's the microprocessor. On my i3700 it's more or less between
        F8-F11 and U-P keys, but the heat sink it's over backspace.

        Linux kernel usually halts the processor when it's idle, but if you are
        extensivelly using it, it cannot, so it gets hotter.

        > what could be the reason that the fan does not start? is this a malfunction,
        > or should i alter some settings?

        What BIOS version do you have? DELL rised temperature levels for the fan to
        work (so much that at 30 celcius degrees of ambient temperature and
        extremely using the CPU my fan didn't start) on versions A11 and A12 of the
        BIOS on the i3800 (A12 and A13 on i3700).

        I had to downgrade to A11 (you would do to A10; mine it's a i3700,
        remenber) if I wanted the fan to work. And even this way, it gets quite hot.

        Cheers!

        Luis María Cruz <lcruzva@...> http://moon.inf.uji.es/~failure
        PGP keyIDs: 0x6848D470 (DSS) / 0x255E9505 (RSA) failure en IRC-Hispano
        Asociación de usuarios de LiNUX de Málaga http://www.linux-malaga.org
      • Joost Kremers
        Message 3 of 15 , Jul 4, 2001
          Op woensdag 4 juli 2001 15:47, schreef je:
          > El día Wed, Jul 04, 2001 at 02:58:40PM +0200, Joost Kremers escribió:
          > > hi all,
          > >
          > > located). more seriously: the fan never kicks in... this is strange,
          > > because a) the fan is located in the exact same corner; b) the heat is so
          > > strong that i can feel it through the keyboard.
          > >
          > > does anyone know which piece of hardware is generating this heat? (in
          > > other words: which piece of hardware is located in this position?)
          >
          > I'll bet it's the microprocessor. On my i3700 it's more or less between
          > F8-F11 and U-P keys, but the heat sink it's over backspace.
          >
          > Linux kernel usually halts the processor when it's idle, but if you are
          > extensivelly using it, it cannot, so it gets hotter.

          mmm, that may make sense... when i run the program, other programs do have
          some trouble getting their work done. i'll try renicing the process then.

          > > what could be the reason that the fan does not start? is this a
          > > malfunction, or should i alter some settings?
          >
          > What BIOS version do you have? DELL rised temperature levels for the fan
          > to work (so much that at 30 celcius degrees of ambient temperature and
          > extremely using the CPU my fan didn't start) on versions A11 and A12 of the
          > BIOS on the i3800 (A12 and A13 on i3700).
          >
          > I had to downgrade to A11 (you would do to A10; mine it's a i3700,
          > remenber) if I wanted the fan to work. And even this way, it gets quite
          > hot.

          how do i do that? and doesn't that have other consequences?

          TIA,

          joost

          --
          Joost Kremers, M.A.

          University of Nijmegen, the Netherlands
          Department of Languages and Cultures of the Middle-East

          PO Box 9103
          6500 HD Nijmegen
          tel: + 32 24 3612996
          fax: + 32 24 3611972

          http://joostkremers.nijmegennet.nl

          -----------------------

          a computer virus is a program that:

          - spreads like wildfire
          - gets on your computer without you wanting it
          - can cause unexpected system failures and data loss

          pray tell, which part of this definition does *not* apply to Windows?
        • Vilius Puidokas
          Message 4 of 15 , Jul 4, 2001
            just curious.. why did i receive ~20 copies of this email? ;)

            On Wed, 4 Jul 2001, Joost Kremers wrote:

            > hi all,
            >
            > i'm running SuSE7.1 on a Dell Inspiron 3800 which i bought a few months ago.
            > everything has been going fine, all functionality working 'out of the box',
            > so to speak. but now i've run into a problem: i downloaded and installed a
            > program (actually an MSX emulator: <http://www.komkon.org/fms/fMSX/>), which
            > seriously overheats my laptop when i run it.
            >
            > the heat is generated on the right back end (i.e., where the backspace key is
            > located). more seriously: the fan never kicks in... this is strange, because
            > a) the fan is located in the exact same corner; b) the heat is so strong that
            > i can feel it through the keyboard.
            >
            > does anyone know which piece of hardware is generating this heat? (in other
            > words: which piece of hardware is located in this position?)
            >
            > what could be the reason that the fan does not start? is this a malfunction,
            > or should i alter some settings?
            >
            > more in general: how can one program cause such overheating, whereas
            > everything else i run hardly heats up the computer at all? normally, i can
            > comfortably rest the laptop on my lap, but with this program running i would
            > definitely burn my legs...
            >
            > any comments would be greatly appreciated.
            >
            > TIA,
            >
            > joost kremers

          • Stephen Lau
            Message 5 of 15 , Jul 4, 2001
              beats me...i only received the one...
              i've noticed sometimes the mailer has issues...i've gotten like 15-20
              copies of previous emails randomly.

              -steve

              On Wed, Jul 04, 2001 at 11:36:32AM -0400, Vilius Puidokas wrote:
              > just curious.. why did i receive ~20 copies of this email? ;)
              >
              > On Wed, 4 Jul 2001, Joost Kremers wrote:
              >
              > > hi all,
              > >
              > > i'm running SuSE7.1 on a Dell Inspiron 3800 which i bought a few months ago.
              > > everything has been going fine, all functionality working 'out of the box',
              > > so to speak. but now i've run into a problem: i downloaded and installed a
              > > program (actually an MSX emulator: <http://www.komkon.org/fms/fMSX/>), which
              > > seriously overheats my laptop when i run it.
              > >
              > > the heat is generated on the right back end (i.e., where the backspace key is
              > > located). more seriously: the fan never kicks in... this is strange, because
              > > a) the fan is located in the exact same corner; b) the heat is so strong that
              > > i can feel it through the keyboard.
              > >
              > > does anyone know which piece of hardware is generating this heat? (in other
              > > words: which piece of hardware is located in this position?)
              > >
              > > what could be the reason that the fan does not start? is this a malfunction,
              > > or should i alter some settings?
              > >
              > > more in general: how can one program cause such overheating, whereas
              > > everything else i run hardly heats up the computer at all? normally, i can
              > > comfortably rest the laptop on my lap, but with this program running i would
              > > definitely burn my legs...
              > >
              > > any comments would be greatly appreciated.
              > >
              > > TIA,
              > >
              > > joost kremers

              "It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to open one's mouth and remove all doubt."
            • Marc Deichmann
              Message 6 of 15 , Jul 4, 2001
                Hi all!

                That is what I found in the Dell Knowledge Base:

                Why does my fan no longer run as often after flashing the BIOS on my
                Dell? Inspiron? 3700 or 3800 computer?

                After flashing the BIOS on an Inspiron 3700 or 3800 computer, the fan
                may no longer turn on as often and the system may feel warm to the
                touch.

                Solution
                The Inspiron 3700 BIOS (version A12 and higher) and the Inspiron 3800
                BIOS (version A11 and higher) were modified to reduce the occurrence of
                fan noise while still meeting the thermal cooling requirements. The
                system is operating as designed. If you feel your fan is
                malfunctioning, you can test the fan using the Dell Diagnostics.

                NOTE: For more information on performing diagnostics, refer to Dell
                Knowledge Base Article: FA1034504 "How do I run the Dell English
                Diagnostics?"

                For help with specifics on your Dell system, or additional
                troubleshooting support, search the Dell Support Web site at:
                http://support.dell.com Dell provides you with the troubleshooting
                tools necessary to resolve most any problem.

                Bye, mad...

                --
                [mailto:demon_mc@...][http:\\www.datahaven.de\demon_mc]
                aphorism, n.:
                Message 7 of 15 , Jul 4, 2001
                  hi all,

                  > That is what I found in the Dell Knowledge Base:

                  i never knew there was such a thing as the dell knowledge base... thanks for
                  pointing this out to me!

                  as for my original problem: the designer of fMSX tells me the program uses a
                  lot of CPU cycles, which means the CPU cannot be put to "sleep". therefore
                  it stays active, creating a lot of heat.

                  the dell diagnostics program tells me the fan is working perfectly. it also
                  says that the internal thermometer is working fine, but when i ran that test
                  the fan suddenly became active. don't know if that means anything... i can't
                  help but feel someone mixed up farenheit and celsius when they calibrated the
                  internal thermometer... :-)

                  anyway, thanks for the replies. although i'm still generating heat, at least
                  i know it's ok. sort of...

                  joost

                  --
                  Joost Kremers, M.A.

                  University of Nijmegen
                  Department of Languages and Cultures of the Middle-East

                  PO Box 9103
                  6500 HD Nijmegen
                  tel: 024-3612996
                  fax: 024-3611972

                  http://joostkremers.nijmegennet.nl

                  -----------------------
                  a computer virus is a program that:

                  - spreads uncontrollably
                  - gets on your computer without you wanting it to
                  - causes unexpected system failures and data loss

                  Message 8 of 15 , Jul 4, 2001
                    Am Mittwoch, 4. Juli 2001 21:26 schrieben Sie:
                    > the dell diagnostics program tells me the fan is working perfectly.
                    > it also says that the internal thermometer is working fine, but when
                    > i ran that test the fan suddenly became active. don't know if that
                    > means anything... i can't help but feel someone mixed up farenheit
                    > and celsius when they calibrated the internal thermometer... :-)

                    Is this diagnostic program a windows program oder can I run it from a
                    floppy disk?

                    Ciao, mad...

                    --
                    [mailto:demon_mc@...][http:\\www.datahaven.de\demon_mc]
                    It would be illogical to assume that all conditions remain stable.
                    Message 9 of 15 , Jul 4, 2001

                      > Is this diagnostic program a windows program oder can I run it from a
                      > floppy disk?

                      in my case, it's a program on one of the cd's that came with the laptop. (the
                      cd 'system software'). you have to put the cd in the cd-rom or dvd and boot
                      your machine.

                      i gather from the knowledge base that with some computers the diagnostics is
                      on a floppy disk, but the procedure is the same: put the floppy in the drive
                      and boot the computer.

                      the computer will then boot from the cd (or floppy). follow instructions on
                      the screen.

                      HTH,

                      joost
                    • stuart@bh90210.net
                      Message 10 of 15 , Jul 5, 2001
                        Linux Dell laptop users:

                        I had a 7500 (have an 8000 now, which is significantly better on heat
                        even with a 1GHz PIII) which literarlly was UNUSABLE in my lap, as it
                        ran very very hot. Even when I had it on the table I was worried it
                        would damage my table as well.

                        However, I did notice that when run at a colocation facility it ran
                        much faster. I have since decided to "environmentalize" a room in my
                        apartment. I am planning to place humidity, air cleaning equipment,
                        as well as an aircondition in. I am going to keep the temperature at
                        65F while computers are running there.

                        Stuart
                        Beverly Hills, CA

                        --- In linux-dell-laptops@y..., Joost Kremers <j.kremers@l...> wrote:
                        > hi all,
                        >
                        > > That is what I found in the Dell Knowledge Base:
                        >
                        > i never knew there was such a thing as the dell knowledge base...
                        thanks for
                        > pointing this out to me!
                        >
                        > as for my original problem: the designer of fMSX tells me the
                        program uses a
                        > lot of CPU cycles, which means the CPU cannot be put to "sleep".
                        therefore
                        > it stays active, creating a lot of heat.
                        >
                        > the dell diagnostics program tells me the fan is working perfectly.
                        it also
                        > says that the internal thermometer is working fine, but when i ran
                        that test
                        > the fan suddenly became active. don't know if that means
                        anything... i can't
                        > help but feel someone mixed up farenheit and celsius when they
                        calibrated the
                        > internal thermometer... :-)
                        >
                        > anyway, thanks for the replies. although i'm still generating heat,
                        at least
                        > i know it's ok. sort of...
                        >
                        > joost
                        >
                        > --
                        > Joost Kremers, M.A.
                        >
                        > University of Nijmegen
                        > Department of Languages and Cultures of the Middle-East
                        >
                        > PO Box 9103
                        > 6500 HD Nijmegen
                        > tel: 024-3612996
                        > fax: 024-3611972
                        >
                        > http://joostkremers.nijmegennet.nl
                        >
                        > -----------------------
                        > a computer virus is a program that:
                        >
                        > - spreads uncontrollably
                        > - gets on your computer without you wanting it to
                        > - causes unexpected system failures and data loss
                        >
                        > pray tell, which part of this definition does *not* apply to
                        Windows?
                      • Ron G Ricci
                        Message 11 of 15 , Jul 11, 2001
                          Please tell me how to unsubscribe.
                        • Lars Hagstrom
                          Message 12 of 15 , Jul 11, 2001
                            For gods sake people, do a minimum of research before posting this
                            question. If you look at the full headers for the mail you see the
                            following line:

                            Or you could try to go to yahoo groups and unsubscribing there. But at
                            least try. PLEASE!

                            Lars - not as unfriendly as he might seem to be...
                          • Stephen Lau
                            Message 13 of 15 , Jul 12, 2001
                              you get a very very emphatic ditto from me, Lars... :)

                              -steve

                              On Thu, Jul 12, 2001 at 08:18:12AM +0200, Lars Hagstrom wrote:
                              > For gods sake people, do a minimum of research before posting this
                              > question. If you look at the full headers for the mail you see the
                              > following line:

                              > Or you could try to go to yahoo groups and unsubscribing there. But at
                              > least try. PLEASE!
                              >
                              > Lars - not as unfriendly as he might seem to be...

                              "It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to open one's mouth and remove all doubt."
                            • Nat Kealen
                              Message 14 of 15 , Jul 12, 2001
                                Uh...how do I post?

                                -n.

                                :)

                                Message 15 of 15 , Jul 13, 2001
                                  Hi Lars:

                                  I tried UNSUBSCRIBING using the address in your message umpteen times and
                                  still cannot get UNSUBSCRIBED! Do you have any contact information for
                                  Yahoo beyond that is given in this message?

                                  Thanks,

                                  George