boot problem

  • kjepo@yahoo.com
    Message 1 of 3 , Jul 3, 2001
      I have a I800 with a 20GB drive which I've partitioned with
      Partition Magic 6.0. The layout is as follows:

      1. Suspend to disk-partition (created with rh7s2d.exe)
      2. Windows ME
      3. Linux:
      3a. Swap
      3b. /boot /dev/hda6
      3c. / /dev/hda7

      The Linux partitions (3) start before cylinder 1024.

      I told Red Hat to write LILO onto /dev/hda6.
      After that I have tried, using Linux' fdisk, to make /dev/hda6
      active. I have also tried the fdisk on Windows ME boot disk
      but I can't get LILO to start.

      The error message I get is "Strike F1 to retry boot, or F2..."

      Any ideas would of course be greatly appreciated as I have spent
      the better part of two evenings on this... <sigh>

      --Kjell
    • Thomas Hadig
      Message 2 of 3 , Jul 3, 2001
        Hi Kjell,

        if I remember correctly installing LILO using SuSE 7.1, I got the information
        that one can not make a logic partition active. You could try to install LILO
        on the extended particle (should have a number X from 1 to 4 in /dev/hdaX)
        that contains the logical boot partition (/dev/hda6).

        Ciao
        Thomas

        > I have a I800 with a 20GB drive which I've partitioned with
        > Partition Magic 6.0. The layout is as follows:
        >
        > 1. Suspend to disk-partition (created with rh7s2d.exe)
        > 2. Windows ME
        > 3. Linux:
        > 3a. Swap
        > 3b. /boot /dev/hda6
        > 3c. / /dev/hda7
        >
        > The Linux partitions (3) start before cylinder 1024.
        >
        > I told Red Hat to write LILO onto /dev/hda6.
        > After that I have tried, using Linux' fdisk, to make /dev/hda6
        > active. I have also tried the fdisk on Windows ME boot disk
        > but I can't get LILO to start.
        >
        > The error message I get is "Strike F1 to retry boot, or F2..."
        >
        > Any ideas would of course be greatly appreciated as I have spent
        > the better part of two evenings on this... <sigh>
        >
        > --Kjell

        Ciao
        Thomas

        Thomas Hadig MS 62, 2575 Sand Hill Road, Menlo Park CA 94025, USA
        hadig@... Tel.: +1 650 926 2810
        http://www.slac.stanford.edu/~hadig/
        In a world without walls and fences, who needs windows and gates ?
      • kjepo@yahoo.com
        Message 3 of 3 , Jul 4, 2001
          Yup, that was it - I moved the /boot-partition out of the Extended
          partition, reinstalled and then activated the /boot-partition from
          fdisk (on the Windows ME boot disk). Works great.

          Sometimes I wonder if these program somehow "knows" that I haven't
          read all pages of the manual and simply refuses to work until I do.