X problem on Dell CPx PIII-500 (LCD is on Drugs!)

  • lpman@speakeasy.org
    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 4, 2000
      I currently have a Dell CPx with the ATI Rage Mobility chipset. I am
      wondering if anyone has had this problem as well. When I try to run
      an application in FULL-SCREEN mode, the screen goes blank, then
      pulses between blue then white. The LCD looks like it's broken (or on
      drugs), and the machine is locked up. This also seemed to happen when
      i tried to install Red Hat 6.2 in GUI mode. It detects the Mach_64
      chipset, then launches X... then the same thing happens. Normal X
      seems to be fine (and quick). But anything having to do with full
      screen causes my laptop to crap-out! I am wondering if this is a
      problem with:

      1. XFree86-3.3.6 and the ATI Rage Mobility
      2. Problem with My LCD and laptop
      3. Problem with me (am I jst missing something?)

      The application I am trying to do full screen is an MPEG/Video-CD
      player called "mtv" http://www.mpegtv.com
      I also have this problem when I run VMWARE and try to run the virtual
      machine in Full Screen Mode. http://www.vmware.com

      Any info you might have would be much appreciated!

      lpman