pre-configured models

  • wisecounselor@yahoo.com
    Message 1 of 2 , Jul 3, 2001
      Is anyone using a laptop purchased from Dell with Redhat already on
      it? How are these working ? I would like to buy one, but I would
      like to know more about their track record.
    • Stephen Lau
      Message 2 of 2 , Jul 3, 2001
        On Tue, Jul 03, 2001 at 07:31:18PM -0000, wisecounselor@... wrote:
        > Is anyone using a laptop purchased from Dell with Redhat already on
        > it? How are these working ? I would like to buy one, but I would
        > like to know more about their track record.

        I think it's not really worth it for several reasons:
        1) Last I checked, their pre-packaged Linux laptops didn't have
        the same availablility of options (i.e.: 15" UXGA screen) that their
        Windows counterparts did
        2) Also, last I checked, they were a bit more expensive (I don't
        know if this is still true), which seems counter-intuitive to the whole
        Linux being free thing. :)
        3) Linux installs without any problems (assuming Mandrake8 or
        RedHat7.1) on the Windows machines. There are a few issues with the
        modem, and such - but these are minor issues (in fact, I think the modem
        is the only real non-working device if you get the 3Com card).
        3) Honestly, can Dell provide you better Linux support than us?
        :)

        That being said... I think it IS worth it for a couple of reasons:
        1) Getting *official* support is always a good thing. For
        instance, if you install Linux on your own - Dell will not support you
        unless you keep Windows around. However, if you get it pre-installed -
        they will support you.
        2) If you're a small business and getting several of these
        machines, then having Dell support there is probably worth it.

        I personally don't know anyone who's gotten a laptop pre-installed with
        Linux (anyone out there on the mailing list done it?)..

        hope that helps,
        cheers,
        steve

        "It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to open one's mouth and remove all doubt."