DVD player for Linux

  • Seth
    Message 1 of 3 , Jul 3, 2001
      I had similar probs in my 5000e, I have redhat7.1 also

      try doing "mkfifo /tmp/video" and "mkfifio /tmp/audio"

      that all I had to do to make it work, note not all dvd's work

      also I had to turn off ESD so sound would work

      Seth
      seth@...
    • j0r93521@yahoo.com
      Message 2 of 3 , Jul 4, 2001
        Alastair,

        Did you get your omi_gtk to work? I had the same problem on my
        Inspiron 4000, but haven't found a solution yet. I actually also trie
        xine, ogle, vlc, none which worked either.

        Jorge

        --- In linux-dell-laptops@y..., Alastair Hardwick <alastair@g...>
        wrote:
        > Hi Guys,
        >
        > I have just installed the OMS to get DVD's playing on my Inspiron
        8000

        > I run Red Hat 7.1 with a 2.4.2-2 kernel (seawolf). I have complied
        and made
        > all
        > the stuff for the player etc. However when I try to run a DVD it
        comes up
        > with a message whilst
        > running the omi_gtk, basically stating that DVD ioctls need
        installing
        > (error contained below)
        >
        > I though post 2.2 kernel that DVD ioctls was built in (correct me if
        I am
        > wrong)
        >
        > I have had a quick peek in the kernel configuration
        > /usr/src/linux-2.4.2/make xconfig
        > and could find no reference to DVD ioctls
        >
        > could some one point me in the right direction.
        >
        > Here's the horrible debugging information:

        > -------
        >
        > LOG_INFO oms.c:oms_init#104 BUF allocated! 0x8059340
        > LOG_INFO render_mgr.c:_render_load#84 plugin_id 7 sys
        > LOG_INFO plugin_mgr.c:pluginLoad#533 loading plugin:
        > (output_audio_plugin) (null), sys
        > LOG_INFO plugin_mgr.c:plugin_find#424 plugin
        > /usr/local/lib/oms/plugins/audio_sys.so matched (null), sys :
        (null), sys
        > Opened audio device "/dev/dsp"
        > LOG_INFO audio_sys.c:_audio_sys_open#202 fragments = 256
        > fragstotal = 256
        > fragsize = 256
        > bytes = 65536
        > LOG_INFO render_mgr.c:_render_load#116 opening audio output
        plugin
        > succeed.
        > LOG_INFO render_mgr.c:_render_load#84 plugin_id 8 x11
        > LOG_INFO plugin_mgr.c:pluginLoad#533 loading plugin:
        > (output_video_plugin) (null), x11
        > LOG_INFO plugin_mgr.c:plugin_find#424 plugin
        > /usr/local/lib/oms/plugins/display_x11.so matched (null), x11 :
        (null), x11
        > LOG_INFO video_out_x11.c:_x11_open#282 Using MIT Shared
        memory
        > extension
        > LOG_INFO video_out_x11.c:_x11_open#316 using Xvideo port 58
        for hw
        > scaling
        > LOG_INFO render_mgr.c:_render_load#110 opening video output
        plugin
        > succeed.
        > LOG_INFO plugin_mgr.c:pluginLoad#533 loading plugin:
        (Nav) dvd,
        > (null)
        > LOG_INFO plugin_mgr.c:plugin_find#424 plugin
        > /usr/local/lib/oms/plugins/nav_dvd.so matched dvd , (null) : dvd ,
        (null)
        > LOG_INFO plugin_mgr.c:pluginLoad#533 loading plugin:
        (Input) dvd
        > , (null)
        > LOG_INFO plugin_mgr.c:plugin_find#424 plugin
        > /usr/local/lib/oms/plugins/input_udf.so matched dvd , (null) : dvd ,
        (null)
        > LOG_INFO plugin_mgr.c:pluginLoad#533 loading plugin:
        (Decaps) ps
        > , (null)
        > LOG_INFO plugin_mgr.c:plugin_find#424 plugin
        > /usr/local/lib/oms/plugins/decaps_ps.so matched ps , (null) : ps ,
        (null)
        > LOG_INFO plugin_mgr.c:pluginLoad#533 loading plugin:
        (CodecAudio)
        > ac3 , (null)
        > LOG_INFO plugin_mgr.c:plugin_find#424 plugin
        > /usr/local/lib/oms/plugins/dec_ac3.so matched ac3 , (null) : ac3 ,
        (null)
        > LOG_INFO plugin_mgr.c:pluginLoad#533 loading plugin:
        (CodecVideo)
        > mpg2, (null)
        > LOG_INFO plugin_mgr.c:plugin_find#424 plugin
        > /usr/local/lib/oms/plugins/dec_mpeg2.so matched mpg1mpg2, (null) :
        mpg2,
        > (nul
        > l)
        > Using MMXEXT for IDCT transform
        > Using MMXEXT for motion compensation
        > LOG_INFO plugin_mgr.c:pluginLoad#533 loading plugin:
        (CodecSpu)
        > spu , (null)
        > LOG_INFO plugin_mgr.c:plugin_find#424 plugin
        > /usr/local/lib/oms/plugins/dec_spu.so matched spu , (null) : spu ,
        (null)
        > LOG_ERROR input_udf.c:_dvd_read#261 read (Input/output
        error)
        > LOG_INFO input_udf.c:_dvd_read#262 most probably the
        disc is
        > encrypted
        > LOG_INFO input_udf.c:_dvd_read#263 please install DVD
        ioctls
        > LOG_ERROR nav_dvd.c:_dvd_pre_read#823 cell_pos:1 unable to
        get
        > full block (-1)
        > LOG_INFO thread_input.c:_oms_thread_input#47 no more data
        left on
        > input

        > ---------------------------
        >
        > regards
        >
        > Alastair Hardwick - Assistant IT Manager
        >
        > * E. alastair@g...
        > * E2 root@g...
        > * E3 elric@r...
        > AIM alastairhrdwck
        >
        > The Graphic Palette Company. Ltd.
        > The Annexe, Empress Business Park,
        > 380 Chester Road,
        > Manchester,
        > M16 9EA
        >
        > * T. +44 (0)161 772 7207
        > * F. +44 (0)161 772 7205
        > IMPORTANT: This email is intended for the use of the individual
        addressee(s)
        > named above & may contain information that is confidential,
        privileged or
        > unsuitable for overly sensitive persons with low self-esteem, no
        sense of
        > humor or irrational religious beliefs. If you are not the intended
        > recipient, any dissemination, distribution or copying of this email
        is not
        > authorized either explicitly or implicitly) and constitutes an
        irritating
        > social faux pas. Unless the word absquatulation has been used in its
        > correct context somewhere other than in this warning, it does not
        have any
        > legal or grammatical use & may be ignored. No animals were harmed in
        the
        > transmission of this e-mail, although the kelpie next door is living
        on
        > borrowed time, let me tell you. Those of you with an overwhelming
        fear of
        > the unknown will be gratified to learn that there is no hidden
        message
        > revealed by reading this warning backwards, so just ignore that
        Alert Notice