Low-key beeps, what are they?

  • Lars Hagstrom
    Message 1 of 3 , Jul 3, 2001
      Hi!

      I've only recently received my Inspiron 8000, and I am just getting it set up.
      One thing that I've noticed that is bothering me is that it emits lots of
      low-key beeps. I have not been able to see any connection to what Ive been
      doing at the time. The beeps seem slightly more frequent in Linux (Mandrake
      8) than in WinME.
      I do not have any PC-cards installed, I even tried removing the pieces of
      black plastic that were in the slots, but I dont think that made any
      difference.
      There also seems to be no connection to battery status, since it beeps a
      bit whatever the charge in the battery is.

      Is this normal? Is it being caused by anything I do? Can I turn it off?

      Lars
    • jsc3@havoc.gtf.org
      Message 2 of 3 , Jul 3, 2001
        > I've only recently received my Inspiron 8000, and I am just getting it set up.
        > One thing that I've noticed that is bothering me is that it emits lots of
        > low-key beeps. I have not been able to see any connection to what Ive been
        > doing at the time. The beeps seem slightly more frequent in Linux (Mandrake
        > 8) than in WinME.

        My computer does not do this. It only beeps if I press the wrong key
        at the wrong time. I suggest you should call Dell.

        --
        John Cronin
      • mike.yahoo@snitzer.net
        Message 3 of 3 , Jul 6, 2001
          My Inspiron 8000 used to emit muted beeps that were correlated with
          the harddrive spinning up, or seeking. Dell sent me a replacement
          harddrive and all was fixed. Up until I replaced the harddisk the
          muted beep was driving me crazy.

          Mike