Re: ltmodem.rpm and kernel 2.4.5

  • Rich Pinkall Pollei
    Message 1 of 3 , Jul 2 9:30 AM
      How did you upgrade your kernel? If you upgrade using RPM, the old
      kernel stays around for reasons of safety. If your new kernel is
      booting and performing okay, use rpm to remove the old kernel
      packages. If you upgraded by hand, you will need to find some way of
      putting the new kernel in the RPM database. In this case, I would
      recommend redoing the upgrade using RPM.

      Rich Pinkall Pollei
      ---
      "One thing they don't tell you about doing experimental physics is that
      sometimes you must work under adverse conditions... like a state of sheer
      terror."
      -- W. K. Hartmann
    • ductuanon@yahoo.com
      Message 2 of 3 , Jul 2 10:23 AM
        I did upgrade by hand - building kernel 2.4.5 from its source tree.
        Please tell me a way of putting this new kernel in the RPM database.

        Thank you for your help,

        Duc

        --- In linux-dell-laptops@y..., Rich Pinkall Pollei <whraven@w...>
        wrote:
        > How did you upgrade your kernel? If you upgrade using RPM, the old
        > kernel stays around for reasons of safety. If your new kernel is
        > booting and performing okay, use rpm to remove the old kernel
        > packages. If you upgraded by hand, you will need to find some way
        of
        > putting the new kernel in the RPM database. In this case, I would
        > recommend redoing the upgrade using RPM.
        >

        > Rich Pinkall Pollei
        > ---
        > "One thing they don't tell you about doing experimental physics is
        that
        > sometimes you must work under adverse conditions... like a state of
        sheer
        > terror."
        > -- W. K. Hartmann
      • Rich Pinkall Pollei
        Message 3 of 3 , Jul 3 7:14 AM
          > I did upgrade by hand - building kernel 2.4.5 from its source tree.
          > Please tell me a way of putting this new kernel in the RPM
          > database.

          There is a way to avoid putting the kernel into the RPM database, and
          that's to use the `--nodeps' option when you install your package.
          This causes RPM to skip dependency checking. Do this only if you know
          that you actually have the facilities that the new package depends on.
          This is the simplest method, and should work for your situation.

          If you still want to go with putting the kernel dependencies into the
          RPM database, the recommended procedure is to install both the binary
          and source kernel RPMs, boot the binary kernel, and then configure and
          install from the source tree if needed. If you can't get a binary RPM
          for the kernel, you can do one of two things.

          The safest is to get the latest kernel source RPM (*not* the source to
          the kernel, but the RPM source used to create the kernel packages),
          update it with the appropriate kernel sources and any changes, then
          recreate the kernel RPMS and install those. It sounds tedious, but
          it's not too difficult.

          The second way, and I've never tried this so I can't say if it would
          actually work in real life, is to create a `dummy' RPM that does
          nothing but provide the feature your package is looking for. You may
          need to do this by creating dummy RPMs for each kernel RPM, or it
          might be possible to use the Provides: tag in the RPM source.

          Hope this helps.

          Rich Pinkall Pollei
          ---
          She's the only person I know who tried to kill her spirit guide.
          -- Chekoteh, "Star Trek: Voyager"