DVD player for Linux

  • Alastair Hardwick
    Message 1 of 3 , Jul 2, 2001
      Hi Guys,

      I have just installed the OMS to get DVD's playing on my Inspiron 8000

      I run Red Hat 7.1 with a 2.4.2-2 kernel (seawolf). I have complied and made
      all
      the stuff for the player etc. However when I try to run a DVD it comes up
      with a message whilst
      running the omi_gtk, basically stating that DVD ioctls need installing
      (error contained below)

      I though post 2.2 kernel that DVD ioctls was built in (correct me if I am
      wrong)

      I have had a quick peek in the kernel configuration
      /usr/src/linux-2.4.2/make xconfig
      and could find no reference to DVD ioctls

      could some one point me in the right direction.

      Here's the horrible debugging information:
      -------

      LOG_INFO oms.c:oms_init#104 BUF allocated! 0x8059340
      LOG_INFO render_mgr.c:_render_load#84 plugin_id 7 sys
      LOG_INFO plugin_mgr.c:pluginLoad#533 loading plugin:
      (output_audio_plugin) (null), sys
      LOG_INFO plugin_mgr.c:plugin_find#424 plugin
      /usr/local/lib/oms/plugins/audio_sys.so matched (null), sys : (null), sys
      Opened audio device "/dev/dsp"
      LOG_INFO audio_sys.c:_audio_sys_open#202 fragments = 256
      fragstotal = 256
      fragsize = 256
      bytes = 65536
      LOG_INFO render_mgr.c:_render_load#116 opening audio output plugin
      succeed.
      LOG_INFO render_mgr.c:_render_load#84 plugin_id 8 x11
      LOG_INFO plugin_mgr.c:pluginLoad#533 loading plugin:
      (output_video_plugin) (null), x11
      LOG_INFO plugin_mgr.c:plugin_find#424 plugin
      /usr/local/lib/oms/plugins/display_x11.so matched (null), x11 : (null), x11
      LOG_INFO video_out_x11.c:_x11_open#282 Using MIT Shared memory
      extension
      LOG_INFO video_out_x11.c:_x11_open#316 using Xvideo port 58 for hw
      scaling
      LOG_INFO render_mgr.c:_render_load#110 opening video output plugin
      succeed.
      LOG_INFO plugin_mgr.c:pluginLoad#533 loading plugin: (Nav) dvd,
      (null)
      LOG_INFO plugin_mgr.c:plugin_find#424 plugin
      /usr/local/lib/oms/plugins/nav_dvd.so matched dvd , (null) : dvd , (null)
      LOG_INFO plugin_mgr.c:pluginLoad#533 loading plugin: (Input) dvd
      , (null)
      LOG_INFO plugin_mgr.c:plugin_find#424 plugin
      /usr/local/lib/oms/plugins/input_udf.so matched dvd , (null) : dvd , (null)
      LOG_INFO plugin_mgr.c:pluginLoad#533 loading plugin: (Decaps) ps
      , (null)
      LOG_INFO plugin_mgr.c:plugin_find#424 plugin
      /usr/local/lib/oms/plugins/decaps_ps.so matched ps , (null) : ps , (null)
      LOG_INFO plugin_mgr.c:pluginLoad#533 loading plugin: (CodecAudio)
      ac3 , (null)
      LOG_INFO plugin_mgr.c:plugin_find#424 plugin
      /usr/local/lib/oms/plugins/dec_ac3.so matched ac3 , (null) : ac3 , (null)
      LOG_INFO plugin_mgr.c:pluginLoad#533 loading plugin: (CodecVideo)
      mpg2, (null)
      LOG_INFO plugin_mgr.c:plugin_find#424 plugin
      /usr/local/lib/oms/plugins/dec_mpeg2.so matched mpg1mpg2, (null) : mpg2,
      (nul
      l)
      Using MMXEXT for IDCT transform
      Using MMXEXT for motion compensation
      LOG_INFO plugin_mgr.c:pluginLoad#533 loading plugin: (CodecSpu)
      spu , (null)
      LOG_INFO plugin_mgr.c:plugin_find#424 plugin
      /usr/local/lib/oms/plugins/dec_spu.so matched spu , (null) : spu , (null)
      LOG_ERROR input_udf.c:_dvd_read#261 read (Input/output error)
      LOG_INFO input_udf.c:_dvd_read#262 most probably the disc is
      encrypted
      LOG_INFO input_udf.c:_dvd_read#263 please install DVD ioctls
      LOG_ERROR nav_dvd.c:_dvd_pre_read#823 cell_pos:1 unable to get
      full block (-1)
      LOG_INFO thread_input.c:_oms_thread_input#47 no more data left on
      input

      ---------------------------

      regards

      Alastair Hardwick - Assistant IT Manager

      * E. alastair@...
      * E2 root@...
      * E3 elric@...
      AIM alastairhrdwck

      The Graphic Palette Company. Ltd.
      The Annexe, Empress Business Park,
      380 Chester Road,
      Manchester,
      M16 9EA

      * T. +44 (0)161 772 7207
      * F. +44 (0)161 772 7205
      IMPORTANT: This email is intended for the use of the individual addressee(s)
      named above & may contain information that is confidential, privileged or
      unsuitable for overly sensitive persons with low self-esteem, no sense of
      humor or irrational religious beliefs. If you are not the intended
      recipient, any dissemination, distribution or copying of this email is not
      authorized either explicitly or implicitly) and constitutes an irritating
      social faux pas. Unless the word absquatulation has been used in its
      correct context somewhere other than in this warning, it does not have any
      legal or grammatical use & may be ignored. No animals were harmed in the
      transmission of this e-mail, although the kelpie next door is living on
      borrowed time, let me tell you. Those of you with an overwhelming fear of
      the unknown will be gratified to learn that there is no hidden message
      revealed by reading this warning backwards, so just ignore that Alert Notice
      from Microsoft. However, by pouring a complete circle of salt around
      yourself & your computer you can ensure that no harm befalls you & your
      pets. If you have received this email in error, please add some nutmeg &
      egg whites, whisk & place in a warm oven for 40 minutes.
    • Seth
      Message 2 of 3 , Jul 3, 2001
        I had similar probs in my 5000e, I have redhat7.1 also

        try doing "mkfifo /tmp/video" and "mkfifio /tmp/audio"

        that all I had to do to make it work, note not all dvd's work

        also I had to turn off ESD so sound would work

        Seth
        seth@...
      • j0r93521@yahoo.com
        Message 3 of 3 , Jul 4, 2001
          Alastair,

          Did you get your omi_gtk to work? I had the same problem on my
          Inspiron 4000, but haven't found a solution yet. I actually also trie
          xine, ogle, vlc, none which worked either.

          Jorge

          --- In linux-dell-laptops@y..., Alastair Hardwick <alastair@g...>