[linux-dell-laptops] removable cd-r/rw drive for Inspirion 7500

  • ken dawson chia wu
    Message 1 of 4 , Mar 23, 2000
      I am thinking of getting an I7500 to run Linux on, and debating whether
      to get the removable cd-r/rw drive from Dell, or an hp m820e external
      cd-rw drive. I know that cdrecord 1.8 will support the hp, but I have
      no idea what the actual model of the Dell drive is. Does anyone know?

      Thanks,

      /ken
    • AndreaG287@aol.com
      Message 2 of 4 , Mar 28, 2000
        In a message dated 3/23/00 5:38:58 PM Eastern Standard Time,
        dawsonwu@... writes:

        <<

        You should get the DVD/Floppy (1.44) Combo to use with Linux. The DVD drive
        will run like a CD ROM drive in Linux. The Floppy needs to be a 1.44 if you
        get the LS-120 Drive, then Linux doesn't like to see the drive. As far as a
        CDRW, I have a Micro-Solutions 4x4x20 Parallel Port CDRW, the manufacture has
        a Linux file that you can download to get the drive to work under Linux. My
        knowledge of compiling and configuring the kernel is so bad that the idoits
        books are not going to help me. (I just don't have the time to figure out how
        to do it.) Once I am out of school which will be in about 1 1/2 months then I
        can play with Linux more.
      • Ned Ragdnuos
        Message 3 of 4 , Mar 30, 2000
          dawsonw-@... (ken dawson chia wu) wrote:
          =490
          > I am thinking of getting an I7500 to run Linux on, and debating
          whether
          > to get the removable cd-r/rw drive from Dell, or an hp m820e external
          > cd-rw drive. I know that cdrecord 1.8 will support the hp, but I have
          > no idea what the actual model of the Dell drive is. Does anyone know?
          >
          > Thanks,
          >
          > /ken

          Sounds familiar. I bought a refurbished 7500 with the DVD-LS120 combo,
          and later bought the CD-RW/Floppy combo from Dell parts for $370
          (it's an Adaptec (5x for writing) CD-RW, and Dell ships the Adaptec
          Windoze drivers on CD with the combo, as well as a blank CD-RW
          and CD-R disk to play with).

          If you need more details, email sedragdnuon@... I can help you out,
          I don't have my laptop here, I think the drive is made by Mashuita
          if I spelled that right, and has a identificating starting with U?????
          with ????? being some numbers. Hmmm... very informative, huh?

          I just followed the instructions in the CD-Writing HOWTO to get
          the ATAPI CD-RW set up as a SCSI device under /dev/scd0,
          and cdrecord from the SuSE 6.3 distribution worked fine.
          This involved making some changes to modules.conf and lilo.conf
          I can post them here if anyone's interested in how to do it for SuSE.

          As far as noise is concerned, the CD-RW drive is much quieter than
          the DVD drive, which seems to spin the disk at full speed before
          reading files. The DVD is quiet when playing DVD
          movies under Windoze98, though. Any ideas what's going on here?

          The floppy drive in the CD-RW/Floppy combo does get recognized by
          ide-probe.c,
          and shows up as /dev/fd0 as expected, unlike the LS120 drive which
          doesn't get recognized correctly by ide-probe.c; I'll be debugging
          this in kernel 2.2.14 more over the next few weeks, hope to figure
          out what's so special about this LS120 from Dell.
        • Geert Van der Plas
          Message 4 of 4 , May 4, 2000
            --- In linux-dell-laptops@egroups.com, "Ned Ragdnuos"
            <sedragdnuon@m...> wrote:
            > The floppy drive in the CD-RW/Floppy combo does get recognized by
            > ide-probe.c,
            > and shows up as /dev/fd0 as expected, unlike the LS120 drive which
            > doesn't get recognized correctly by ide-probe.c; I'll be debugging
            > this in kernel 2.2.14 more over the next few weeks, hope to figure
            > out what's so special about this LS120 from Dell.

            I've made a small patch to ide-probe.c which solves the ls120 problem.
            It's a one-liner patch, you can find it at
            http://www.esat.kuleuven.ac.be/~vdplas/linux/
            This patch is also applicable to the latest 2.2.15 kernel,

            bye,

            Geert Van der Plas.