[linux-dell-laptops] Help connecting to M$ network

  • Seth W. Davis
    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 15, 2000
      Hello group...I sure hope you can help me out.

      I have a home based network using TCP/IP with 4 computers. I like to
      run linux, but the rest of the family is still on windows. I have an
      ISDN modem as my internet connection and have it connected to a windows
      machine using microsoft internet connection sharing (which sets up IP#
      192.168.0.1 as kind of a proxy server and the other machines connect to
      that one i think?).

      My delimma is this...I have a dell laptop with a pcmcia linksys 10/100
      ethernet card. I have done really *no* network stuff with linux and the
      network howto's are confusing. I would like to set up my laptopt to be
      able to connect to the M$ network, AND use the ISDN modem on
      192.168.0.1 as the default internet connection.

      Is this possible? If so.......how the heck do I do it? Sorry about this
      being a newbie question, I've used linux for a little while now but
      haven't really gotten into the config of it much and definately not the
      network config of it.

      So....how do I:

      1. Set up the linksys pcmcia card?
      2. Get my laptop connected to the M$ network via tcp/ip w/ the pcmcia
      network card?
      3. Set it up so my laptop uses the M$ Internet Connection Sharing
      server as the internet proxy?

      I'm on a Dell Inspiron 3500 with Red Hat 6.1...Thanks a million!

      PS. Does anyone have a NeoMagic sound driver for linux that actually
      works on the Insp 3500? The one that came with RH 6.1 says "Warning:
      this doesn't work with the Insp 3500!" ...just my luck!