Newbie question on install and partitioning

  • mtcorey@home.com
    Message 1 of 4 , Jun 2, 2001
      I have an I8000 which is running Win2K, but I want to dual boot with
      Linux. What I am looking for are some intructions and tips for
      performing the installation. I have read several websites and I have
      downloaded the drivers for my GeForce2GO card, but I am sure there
      are other things that I am missing. Here is my configuration as a
      starting place:

      I8000 1Ghz
      512MB RAM
      32GB HDD
      Windows 2000
      UXGA 1600x1200
      GeForce2 GO
      Fixed DVD
      Modular Floppy
      Touchpad and Point Stick

      I have partiioned my disk with Partition Magic 6.0 when I first
      purchased the laptop. The first 6GB of space is Win2K. Then I have
      2GB of space unallocated, and unformatted. After that I have 3
      additional NTFS partitions for programs. data, and Oracle. Latly I
      have another 5GB of unallocated and unformatted space. I purchased
      RedHat 7.1.

      I figured that I would use the first 2GB for swap, /boot, and / .
      But I am not sure if I will need more space for swap as I am using
      the 2.4 kernal and it states 2xRAM, but I don't even have that much
      congfigured for windows. Also, can I create the partions in Partiion
      Magic 6 via Windows for Linux before the install and then perform the
      install process and the partions will be seen? I'm just a little
      confused any help would be gretaly appreciated. Thanks.

      Michael
    • David Rodriguez
      Message 2 of 4 , Jun 3, 2001
        On Sun, Jun 03, 2001 at 05:10:45AM -0000, mtcorey@... wrote:
        > I figured that I would use the first 2GB for swap, /boot, and / .
        > But I am not sure if I will need more space for swap as I am using
        > the 2.4 kernal and it states 2xRAM, but I don't even have that much
        > congfigured for windows. Also, can I create the partions in Partiion
        > Magic 6 via Windows for Linux before the install and then perform the
        > install process and the partions will be seen? I'm just a little
        > confused any help would be gretaly appreciated. Thanks.

        You should use 1 Gb of swap. Under windows the swap can be set
        to anything and will grow to the requirement (I believe). Also note that
        it is not REALLY REQUIRED, just highly recommended. If you have less swap
        then the system will run slower than it could, which is probably faster
        than W2k anyway. I think that you should try to change the partitions
        to FAT32 instead of NTFS, as they are easier for linux to read/write, and
        windows can read them also. I am assuming that you don't need the extra
        security of users and similar, since it is a laptop (for one person?)

        The partitions can be done with any tool, as long as you follow
        some requirements (no more than 4 primary partitions, only one extended
        partition, which counts as a primary partition) That should be easy. If
        partition magic is able to create ext2 partitions then you can just do it
        and install directly, if not, you will have to use fdisk (or similar) to
        change the partition type to be ext2/swap before `formatting' and installing.
        The same goes if you want to use reiserfs instead of ext2.

        2Gb might be a little too small if you want to create the
        root partition there -- meaning that you can run into problems installing
        all the software you might want to install. I am using about 1.8 Gb in my
        root partition.

        Going back to the swap... if you don't create/use any swap, then
        it will be just as fast as it can be, and with 512M you should not
        run into problems of needing the swap anyway, but if you can `sacrifice'
        that space (1Gb) I would do it. In fact I am having 1Gb swap, even though
        I only have 320M memory, just in case I decide to upgrade the memory later.

        David
        David Rodríguez Ibeas Undergraduate Living Form
        University of Iowa Universidad Politécnica de Madrid
        Electrical & Computer Engineering E.T.S.I. Telecomunicación
        Iowa City, IA Madrid, Spain
      • mtcorey@home.com
        Message 3 of 4 , Jun 3, 2001
          David, thanks for your response, just a followup question. I ahve
          seen mentioned on this site some Xconfog file, what is this and where
          can I find this for my laptop?

          Michael
        • David Rodriguez
          Message 4 of 4 , Jun 3, 2001
            The files are in the web version of the list.
            Connect to www.yahoogroups.com, then go to the group
            and you will see (on the left I think) a link to the
            files.

            I don't really know which config file will be
            good for you, you should probably try any/all the ones
            that are for your laptop (model/video card).

            What is a Xconfig file? -- The configuration
            file for the X window system. It is where the info on
            your video card, the display and some other things are
            (keyboard/mouse...) The file is stored in /etc/X11/XF86Config-4
            usually. The reason that most of the people refer to
            this files in the group is that X windows is probably
            the trickiest thing to get to work.

            I hope this helps,

            David