Re: W2K/linux on Latitude LS

  • Simon Josefsson
    Message 1 of 10 , Jun 2, 2001
      "Nat Kealen" <agentgray@...> writes:

      > However, I get hda irq timeouts on bootup and it does this about four or
      > five times until it recognizes something and then goes on.

      I got this a couple of times (with redhat 6.2 though), and a few weeks
      later my harddisk completly broke. I'm seeing it with a new 20GB disk
      as well, from time to time, mostly when I'm running on battery.

      > I can live without sound for now. Configuring it is gonna be a female
      > dog....The Neomagic chipsets share RAM for video and sound.

      OpenSound have working (closed source) sound support for the neomagic
      chipset. RedHat's "sndconfig" will probably only look up your machine
      completely. OpenSound promised to send their patches of to
      linux-kernel people, but that never seemed to happened... I don't
      really need sound, so I'm just simply bad-mouthing them until the fix
      gets incorporated into vanilla kernels. :)
    • Nat Kealen
      Message 2 of 10 , Jun 4, 2001
        See below...

        > > However, I get hda irq timeouts on bootup and it does this about four
        or
        > > five times until it recognizes something and then goes on.
        > >
        > > Plus, my eth0 interface is not working. It almost acts like its
        starting
        > > and stopping. I cannot ping anything. I get this dump on my screen
        every
        > > 30 seconds or so:
        >
        > What kind of nic do you have? is it the intel eepro?

        Nah, it's a 3Com 3C920 Integrated Fast Ethernet Controller (3C905C-TX
        Compatible). That's straight from W2K settings.

        > > Did I mention I was using a Latitude LS? I've got a lucent modem, so I
        know
        > > I shouldn't have any major problems getting that to work later.
        >
        > I think the package is called ltmodem...from what i've heard, it's
        > relatively easy to get working.

        Great. I'll lok into that.

        > change /etc/lilo.conf
        > and then re-run 'lilo' and you should be golden.

        Thanks.

        -n.