Re: [linux-dell-laptops] Re: W2K/linux on Latitude LS

  • Mark Cuss
    Message 1 of 10 , Jun 1, 2001
      Really?

      Mmmmm - that is wierd - Even after I installed W2K and then Linux with Lilo
      in the MBR and rebooted, Windows loaded anyways - it was like it never even
      wrote it into the MBR - perhaps I was doing something wrong. So, I just
      used the W2K bootloader....

      Mark

      Message 2 of 10 , Jun 1, 2001
        Well, I went with RH7.1 and everything worked fine, including X. I did have
        some problems.

        However, I get hda irq timeouts on bootup and it does this about four or
        five times until it recognizes something and then goes on.

        Plus, my eth0 interface is not working. It almost acts like its starting
        and stopping. I cannot ping anything. I get this dump on my screen every
        30 seconds or so:

        eth0: transmit timed out, t.....blah, blah blah for about 15 lines of text.

        Did I mention I was using a Latitude LS? I've got a lucent modem, so I know
        I shouldn't have any major problems getting that to work later.

        I can live without sound for now. Configuring it is gonna be a female
        dog....The Neomagic chipsets share RAM for video and sound.

        After the initial install reboot, the laptop only recognized linux. Lilo
        didn't even have W2K listed. Where can I cange that at? A lilo.conf
        somewhere?

        Message 3 of 10 , Jun 1, 2001
          On Fri, Jun 01, 2001 at 03:30:55PM -0500, Nat Kealen wrote:
          > However, I get hda irq timeouts on bootup and it does this about four or
          > five times until it recognizes something and then goes on.
          >
          > Plus, my eth0 interface is not working. It almost acts like its starting
          > and stopping. I cannot ping anything. I get this dump on my screen every
          > 30 seconds or so:

          What kind of nic do you have? is it the intel eepro?

          > Did I mention I was using a Latitude LS? I've got a lucent modem, so I know
          > I shouldn't have any major problems getting that to work later.

          I think the package is called ltmodem...from what i've heard, it's
          relatively easy to get working.

          > I can live without sound for now. Configuring it is gonna be a female
          > dog....The Neomagic chipsets share RAM for video and sound.
          >
          > After the initial install reboot, the laptop only recognized linux. Lilo
          > didn't even have W2K listed. Where can I cange that at? A lilo.conf
          > somewhere?

          change /etc/lilo.conf
          and then re-run 'lilo' and you should be golden.

          -steve

          "It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to open one's mouth and remove all doubt."
        • Simon Josefsson
          Message 4 of 10 , Jun 2, 2001
            "Nat Kealen" <agentgray@...> writes:

            > However, I get hda irq timeouts on bootup and it does this about four or
            > five times until it recognizes something and then goes on.

            I got this a couple of times (with redhat 6.2 though), and a few weeks
            later my harddisk completly broke. I'm seeing it with a new 20GB disk
            as well, from time to time, mostly when I'm running on battery.

            > I can live without sound for now. Configuring it is gonna be a female
            > dog....The Neomagic chipsets share RAM for video and sound.

            OpenSound have working (closed source) sound support for the neomagic
            chipset. RedHat's "sndconfig" will probably only look up your machine
            completely. OpenSound promised to send their patches of to
            linux-kernel people, but that never seemed to happened... I don't
            really need sound, so I'm just simply bad-mouthing them until the fix
            gets incorporated into vanilla kernels. :)
          • Nat Kealen
            Message 5 of 10 , Jun 4, 2001
              See below...

              > > However, I get hda irq timeouts on bootup and it does this about four
              or
              > > five times until it recognizes something and then goes on.
              > >
              > > Plus, my eth0 interface is not working. It almost acts like its
              starting
              > > and stopping. I cannot ping anything. I get this dump on my screen
              every
              > > 30 seconds or so:
              >
              > What kind of nic do you have? is it the intel eepro?

              Nah, it's a 3Com 3C920 Integrated Fast Ethernet Controller (3C905C-TX
              Compatible). That's straight from W2K settings.

              > > Did I mention I was using a Latitude LS? I've got a lucent modem, so I
              know
              > > I shouldn't have any major problems getting that to work later.
              >
              > I think the package is called ltmodem...from what i've heard, it's
              > relatively easy to get working.

              Great. I'll lok into that.

              > change /etc/lilo.conf
              > and then re-run 'lilo' and you should be golden.

              Thanks.

              -n.