Re: [linux-dell-laptops] Re: I8k+GeForce2 Go ugly with last nvidia driver...

  • Juri Haberland
    Message 1 of 5 , Jun 1, 2001
      curmson@... wrote:

      > Pep,
      > I posted a modeline to the group (yesterday) which makes 1400x1050
      > work with the new drivers from NVIDIA. This should make your screen
      > look pretty again. The reason your screen looks ugly is due to
      > dithering/aliasing affects due to the fact that your LCD monitor has
      > discrete pixels (unlike a CRT). If you use a resolution that is not
      > an integer divisor of the actual screen size, the monitor
      > hardware/driver has to try and turn whatever resolution you gave it
      > into the actual screen resolution, with varying quality results...
      >
      > Here is the modeline, for posterity:
      > ModeLine "1400x1050" 80 1400 1400 1648 1776 1050 1050 1053 1067

      Hi,

      I just wanted to add that I really had a hart time to get it working but
      finally, I succeeded!

      For all having the same problems:
      Beginning with the above modeline, I had to increase the first value to
      110 (PixClock). It now reads:
      "1400x1050" 110 1400 1400 1648 1776 1050 1050 1053 1067

      And it works even with 24bit :-))

      Juri
    • riputa@ifrance.com
      Message 2 of 5 , Jun 1, 2001
        Can you post your config file or put it in the "Files" section
        please.

        Nicolas

        --- In linux-dell-laptops@y..., Juri Haberland <haberland@a...>

      • Martin.Pinsker@lrz.tu-muenchen.de
        Message 3 of 5 , Jun 4, 2001
          --- In linux-dell-laptops@y..., riputa@i... wrote:
          > Can you post your config file or put it in the "Files" section
          > please.
          >
          > Nicolas
          >

          > --- In linux-dell-laptops@y..., Juri Haberland <haberland@a...>
          > wrote:
          > > curmson@r... wrote:
          > > >
          > > > Pep,
          > > > I posted a modeline to the group (yesterday) which makes
          > 1400x1050
          > > > work with the new drivers from NVIDIA. This should make your
          > screen
          > > > look pretty again. The reason your screen looks ugly is due to
          > > > dithering/aliasing affects due to the fact that your LCD monitor
          > has
          > > > discrete pixels (unlike a CRT). If you use a resolution that is
          > not
          > > > an integer divisor of the actual screen size, the monitor
          > > > hardware/driver has to try and turn whatever resolution you gave
          > it
          > > > into the actual screen resolution, with varying quality
          > results...
          > > >
          > > > Here is the modeline, for posterity:
          > > > ModeLine "1400x1050" 80 1400 1400 1648 1776 1050 1050 1053 1067
          > >
          > > Hi,
          > >
          > > I just wanted to add that I really had a hart time to get it
          > working but
          > > finally, I succeeded!
          > >
          > > For all having the same problems:
          > > Beginning with the above modeline, I had to increase the first
          > value to
          > > 110 (PixClock). It now reads:
          > > "1400x1050" 110 1400 1400 1648 1776 1050 1050 1053 1067
          > >
          > > And it works even with 24bit :-))
          > >
          > > Juri
          Both modes are incorrect (will not give 60 Hz vertical refresh)
          and are thus probably rejected by the X server on startup.
          Have you checked that you really get 1400x1050 - I don't, though
          using the same modeline.

          Regards

          Martin
        • don@hawktech.net
          Message 4 of 5 , Jun 4, 2001
            Try the file I uploaded, it seems to work

          • ycho2@hanmail.net
            Message 5 of 5 , Jun 4, 2001
              You can also try the xf86config file I uploaded. You may have to
              change the name to something suitable for your linux distribution. It
              works on my i8k notebook with GF2go, 2.4.5 kernel, SuSE 7.1, X 4.0.3
              setup.

              Yongjoo Cho