cd-burning

  • Syntax
    Message 1 of 10 , Jun 1, 2001
      How do i setup a cdburner on my dell 3800 with mandrake 7.2?

      Syntax
    • David Rodriguez
      Message 2 of 10 , Jun 2, 2001

        In general (independent of distro) you will need a kernel
        with ide-scsi support. You will have to tell the system that whichever
        disk is the CDburner should be treated through SCSI emulation
        (append="hdc=ide-scsi" in the lilo.conf section for the kernel in my system)
        You will have to change fstab so that you can mount/read CDs to be
        /dev/scd0.

        Writing CDs is done with cdrecord. You can try to use it without
        parameters and/or probe for the appropiate device (0,0,0 in my system) or
        you can see the logs with dmesg.

        David

        On Fri, Jun 01, 2001 at 04:17:12PM -0000, Syntax wrote:
        > How do i setup a cdburner on my dell 3800 with mandrake 7.2?
        >
        > Syntax

        David Rodríguez Ibeas Undergraduate Living Form
        University of Iowa Universidad Politécnica de Madrid
        Electrical & Computer Engineering E.T.S.I. Telecomunicación
        Iowa City, IA Madrid, Spain
      • Syntax
        Message 3 of 10 , Jun 2, 2001
          --- In linux-dell-laptops@y..., David Rodriguez <dibeas@i...> wrote:
          > Hi,
          >
          > In general (independent of distro) you will need a kernel
          > with ide-scsi support. You will have to tell the system that
          whichever
          > disk is the CDburner should be treated through SCSI emulation
          > (append="hdc=ide-scsi" in the lilo.conf section for the kernel in my
          system)
          > You will have to change fstab so that you can mount/read CDs to be
          > /dev/scd0.
          >
          > Writing CDs is done with cdrecord. You can try to use it without
          > parameters and/or probe for the appropiate device (0,0,0 in my
          system) or
          > you can see the logs with dmesg.

          You mean i have to update my kernel? And how would i change the fstab
          so that can mount/read cd to dev/scd0?

          syntax

          > On Fri, Jun 01, 2001 at 04:17:12PM -0000, Syntax wrote:
          > > How do i setup a cdburner on my dell 3800 with mandrake 7.2?
          > >
          > > Syntax

          > David Rodríguez Ibeas Undergraduate Living
          Form

          > University of Iowa Universidad Politécnica de
          Madrid
          > Electrical & Computer Engineering E.T.S.I.
          Telecomunicación
          > Iowa City, IA Madrid,
          Spain

        • David Rodriguez
          Message 4 of 10 , Jun 3, 2001
            On Sun, Jun 03, 2001 at 05:14:30AM -0000, Syntax wrote:
            > You mean i have to update my kernel? And how would i change the fstab
            > so that can mount/read cd to dev/scd0?

            Maybe the kernel already supports ide-scsi emulation, in
            which case you will only need to give the parameter hdc=ide-scsi
            during bootup (lilo).

            About the /etc/fstab file... If you edit it there should
            be a line that reads:

            /dev/hdc /cdrom iso9660 ...
            or
            /dev/cdrom /mnt/cdrom iso9660 ...

            or something similar (the mount point depends on the distro). The
            change will be in the first column to read

            /dev/scd0 ...

            or just leave /dev/cdrom and link /dev/cdrom to /dev/scd0
            (root# rm /dev/cdrom; ln -s /dev/scd0 /dev/cdrom)

            In the file (/dev/fstab) each line reads as:
            device mountpoint type options ...

            where device is the device to mount, mountpoint the directory
            in where to mount it, type the kind of filesystem (iso9660 for CDs)
            the options are passed directly to the mount command (see man mount)
            and the other columns have some extra info (that I have never used).

            That is the second step. I would first try to give the option
            in the lilo prompt:

            LILO: linux hdc=ide-scsi

            and see if the kernel complains. If it does not, and it detects the
            CDRW as some scsi device (see logs) then you can try to mount a CD
            with:

            root# mount /dev/scd0 /mnt

            and/or write a CD with cdrecord. Once you manually check that it is
            working you can go ahead and modify /etc/fstab as explained before.

            David
            Message 5 of 10 , Jun 3, 2001
              --- In linux-dell-laptops@y..., David Rodriguez <dibeas@i...> wrote:
              > On Sun, Jun 03, 2001 at 05:14:30AM -0000, Syntax wrote:
              > > You mean i have to update my kernel? And how would i change the
              fstab
              > > so that can mount/read cd to dev/scd0?
              >
              > Maybe the kernel already supports ide-scsi emulation, in
              > which case you will only need to give the parameter hdc=ide-scsi
              > during bootup (lilo).
              >
              > About the /etc/fstab file... If you edit it there should
              > be a line that reads:
              >
              > /dev/hdc /cdrom iso9660 ...
              > or
              > /dev/cdrom /mnt/cdrom iso9660 ...
              >
              > or something similar (the mount point depends on the distro). The
              > change will be in the first column to read

              How would i write with write a CD with cdrecord

              > /dev/scd0 ...
              >
              > or just leave /dev/cdrom and link /dev/cdrom to /dev/scd0
              > (root# rm /dev/cdrom; ln -s /dev/scd0 /dev/cdrom)
              >
              > In the file (/dev/fstab) each line reads as:
              > device mountpoint type options ...
              >
              > where device is the device to mount, mountpoint the directory
              > in where to mount it, type the kind of filesystem (iso9660 for CDs)
              > the options are passed directly to the mount command (see man mount)
              > and the other columns have some extra info (that I have never used).
              >
              > That is the second step. I would first try to give the option
              > in the lilo prompt:
              >
              > LILO: linux hdc=ide-scsi
              >
              > and see if the kernel complains. If it does not, and it detects the
              > CDRW as some scsi device (see logs) then you can try to mount a CD
              > with:
              >
              > root# mount /dev/scd0 /mnt
              >
              > and/or write a CD with cdrecord. Once you manually check that it is
              > working you can go ahead and modify /etc/fstab as explained before.
              >
              > David
              > David Rodríguez Ibeas Undergraduate Living
              Form
              > University of Iowa Universidad Politécnica de
              Madrid
              > Electrical & Computer Engineering E.T.S.I.
              Telecomunicación
              > Iowa City, IA Madrid,
              Spain
            • David Rodriguez
              Message 6 of 10 , Jun 3, 2001
                On Sun, Jun 03, 2001 at 04:24:08PM -0000, Syntax wrote:
                > How would i write with write a CD with cdrecord

                The lines I use are:

                cdrecord speed=4 dev=0,0,0 -v -audio *.wav
                cdrecord speed=4 dev=0,0,0 -v -data file.iso

                for audio/data CDs. My CDRW is only 4x, so that speed=4
                selects the fastest (maybe it is not even required :)
                The three 0 are because the kernel reports:

                scsi0 : SCSI host adapter emulation for IDE ATAPI devices
                Vendor: MATSHITA Model: UJDA310 Rev: 3.50
                Type: CD-ROM ANSI SCSI revision: 02
                Detected scsi CD-ROM sr0 at scsi0, channel 0, id 0, lun 0

                during boot (or in dmesg). The numbers correspond to scsi_bus=0,
                target=0, lun=0 in the last line, and those are the ones that
                tell cdrecord what device to use. Note that you don't mount the
                CD and write to it, but use cdrecord directly.

                The -v option gives a little more info during the burning
                steps of the process. -audio and -data are not usually required,
                as cdrecord usually guesses out of the extension of the files, but
                I use it just to be sure. For more options see `man cdrecord'.

                David

                Message 7 of 10 , Jun 3, 2001
                  --- In linux-dell-laptops@y..., "Syntax" <syntax_elite@y...> wrote:
                  > --- In linux-dell-laptops@y..., David Rodriguez <dibeas@i...> wrote:
                  > > On Sun, Jun 03, 2001 at 05:14:30AM -0000, Syntax wrote:
                  > > > You mean i have to update my kernel? And how would i change the
                  > fstab
                  > > > so that can mount/read cd to dev/scd0?
                  > >
                  > > Maybe the kernel already supports ide-scsi emulation, in
                  > > which case you will only need to give the parameter hdc=ide-scsi
                  > > during bootup (lilo).
                  > >
                  > > About the /etc/fstab file... If you edit it there should
                  > > be a line that reads:
                  > >
                  > > /dev/hdc /cdrom iso9660 ...
                  > > or
                  > > /dev/cdrom /mnt/cdrom iso9660 ...
                  > >
                  > > or something similar (the mount point depends on the distro). The
                  > > change will be in the first column to read

                  I found /dev/cdrom /mnt/cdrom iso9660 on my laptop. so
                  what would i do next?

                  Sorry i just new to linux

                  > How would i write with write a CD with cdrecord
                  >

                  > > /dev/scd0 ...
                  > >
                  > > or just leave /dev/cdrom and link /dev/cdrom to /dev/scd0
                  > > (root# rm /dev/cdrom; ln -s /dev/scd0 /dev/cdrom)
                  > >
                  > > In the file (/dev/fstab) each line reads as:
                  > > device mountpoint type options ...
                  > >
                  > > where device is the device to mount, mountpoint the directory
                  > > in where to mount it, type the kind of filesystem (iso9660 for
                  CDs)
                  > > the options are passed directly to the mount command (see man
                  mount)
                  > > and the other columns have some extra info (that I have never
                  used).

                  > > That is the second step. I would first try to give the option
                  > > in the lilo prompt:
                  > >
                  > > LILO: linux hdc=ide-scsi
                  > >
                  > > and see if the kernel complains. If it does not, and it detects
                  the
                  > > CDRW as some scsi device (see logs) then you can try to mount a CD
                  > > with:
                  > >
                  > > root# mount /dev/scd0 /mnt
                  > >
                  > > and/or write a CD with cdrecord. Once you manually check that it
                  is
                  > > working you can go ahead and modify /etc/fstab as explained
                  before.

                  > > David
                  > > --
                  > > David Rodríguez Ibeas Undergraduate Living
                  > Form
                  > > University of Iowa Universidad Politécnica de
                  > Madrid
                  > > Electrical & Computer Engineering E.T.S.I.
                  > Telecomunicación
                  > > Iowa City, IA Madrid,
                  > Spain
                • David Rodriguez
                  Message 8 of 10 , Jun 4, 2001
                    >===== Original Message From "Syntax" <syntax_elite@...> =====
                    > I found /dev/cdrom /mnt/cdrom iso9660 on my laptop. so
                    >what would i do next?
                    >
                    >Sorry i just new to linux

                    No problem, all of us learned at some point. The real device is not
                    /dev/cdrom, that is only a link to the real one. You can check it with

                    prompt$ ls -l /dev/cdrom

                    and should print something like

                    .... /dev/cdrom -> hdc

                    where ... is a bunch of data that includes permissions, number of inodes,
                    number of hard links to the file, size, user and group (not in that order
                    though). The reason most distros use that link is that in this way, programs
                    can access whichever real device it is through a generic name (/dev/cdrom).

                    The whole process should be like:

                    LILO: linux hdc=ide-scsi (at boot time)
                    (login/passwd)
                    (in between you should look for messages displayed in the screen with possible
                    errors or with SCSI being `detected')
                    root# mount /dev/scd0 /mnt (with a CD - data in the drive)
                    root# ls /mnt (to check that it worked)
                    root# umount /dev/scd0 (to umount and be able to take the
                    CD out)

                    If this worked, then you can:

                    root# rm /dev/cdrom
                    root# ln -s /dev/scd0 /dev/cdrom

                    to create the new link to the proper device. You should also edit
                    /etc/lilo.conf
                    so that the append line for your kernel includes "hdc=ide-scsi". Also remember
                    what /dev/cdrom pointed to (output of ls -l /dev/cdrom) in case you want to
                    recover it. If you change the link, it will only work when ide-scsi emulation
                    is active, but you probably want to have it active always (I do). I hope this
                    was not as confusing as I think :) It is easier to talk about this things when
                    both are seeing the same screen.

                    David

                    P.S. I will probably answer no mail during the following two/three days. I am
                    moving back to Spain tomorrow.

                    David Rodríguez Ibeas <dibeas@...> Undergraduate Living Form
                  • ox447@yahoo.com
                    Message 9 of 10 , Sep 2, 2001
                      How would i get a dell 3800 cd-burner work on red hat linux 7.1?
                    • cwright@sympatico.ca
                      Message 10 of 10 , Sep 9, 2001
                        --- In linux-dell-laptops@y..., ox447@y... wrote:

                        > How would i get a dell 3800 cd-burner work on red hat linux 7.1?

                        there is a detailed HOWTO on getting IDE burners running in linux.

                        http://linuxdoc.org has it.

                        I found it really handy when i got my burner going under linux.

                        -Chris