Re: [linux-dell-laptops] Re: RedHat 7.1 on Inspiron 8000 failes

  • Stephen Lau
    Message 1 of 12 , Jun 1, 2001
      Have you tried a different set of Red Hat CDs?

      -steve

      On Fri, Jun 01, 2001 at 07:17:20AM -0000, j.hermsen@... wrote:
      > For me it just died to the shell and told me it was safe to reboot.
      >
      > John
      >
      > --- In linux-dell-laptops@y..., "Ryurick M. Hristev" <physrmh@p...>
      > wrote:
      > > On Thu, 31 May 2001 j.hermsen@c... wrote:
      > >
      > > > I am trying to install Redhat 7.1 on my inspiron 8000.
      > > > When I do this in text or grafical mode, everything works till it
      > has
      > > > to copy and then it stops and halts the machine.
      > >
      > > For how long ? When I installed it took 30-60 mins to calculate
      > whatever.
      > > Looked like it froze but actually didn't.
      > >
      > > --
      > > Cheers,

      > > Ryurick M. Hristev ()..()/^\/^\ -
      > <:-)
      > > R.Hristev@p... \/ \#/\#/\) What opinions ?

      "It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to open one's mouth and remove all doubt."
    • j.hermsen@chello.nl
      Message 2 of 12 , Jun 1, 2001
        Nope, I have only one set, but everything goes realy smooth till it
        starts copying.
        Is there any boot param that I need to give at setup?
        PS, my sysconfiguration only contains the internal modem and I left
        out the PCMCIA cards. Also when I tried Mandrake 8 with one PCMCIA
        card at installation it hung.

        John

        --- In linux-dell-laptops@y..., Stephen Lau <slau@u...> wrote:
        > Have you tried a different set of Red Hat CDs?
        >
        > -steve
        >
        > On Fri, Jun 01, 2001 at 07:17:20AM -0000, j.hermsen@c... wrote:
        > > For me it just died to the shell and told me it was safe to
        reboot.

        > > John
        > >
        > > --- In linux-dell-laptops@y..., "Ryurick M. Hristev"
        <physrmh@p...>
        > > wrote:

        > > has
        > > >
        > > > For how long ? When I installed it took 30-60 mins to calculate
        > > whatever.
        > > > Looked like it froze but actually didn't.
        > > >
        > > > --
        > > > Cheers,

        > > > Ryurick M. Hristev ()..
        ()/^\/^\ -

        Message 3 of 12 , Jun 1, 2001
          Hrm.. I didn't have to give any additional params. I dunno what could
          be wrong... my only other suggestion is to try another set of CDs. Did
          you buy CDs, or download ISOs?

          -steve

          Message 4 of 12 , Jun 1, 2001
            I downloaded them from sunet.se.

            Message 5 of 12 , Jun 1, 2001
              To be more specific, it dies and returns to the shell.
              There it gives the following:
              phyton: header.c:511: headerLoad: Assertion 'rdlen == dl' failed.
              install exited abnormally
              sending termination signals...done
              sending kill........
              .
              .
              .
              you may safely reboot your system.

              Looking at shell4 I see one cardmanager message sayin:
              Card Services release does not match...
              could not open /var/run/cardmgr.pid: %m
              fopen(stabfile) failed: %m

              I tried runing with linux PCMCIA=no, but it still gives this error.
              Is PCMCIA=no the right boot parameter?

              John

            • gregor@leipelt.de
              Message 6 of 12 , Jun 1, 2001
                > To be more specific, it dies and returns to the shell.
                > There it gives the following:
                > phyton: header.c:511: headerLoad: Assertion 'rdlen == dl' failed.
                > install exited abnormally
                > sending termination signals...done
                > sending kill........
                > .
                > .
                > .
                > you may safely reboot your system.
                >
                > Looking at shell4 I see one cardmanager message sayin:
                > Card Services release does not match...
                > could not open /var/run/cardmgr.pid: %m
                > fopen(stabfile) failed: %m
                >
                > I tried runing with linux PCMCIA=no, but it still gives this error.
                > Is PCMCIA=no the right boot parameter?
                >
                > John

                As far as I remember, it's NOPCMCIA=yes. Anyway, I had a similar
                problem on my I8K. For me, the solution was disabling DHCP. At some
                point during installation RedHat asks how the network (eth0) should
                be configured and started. I had to *DE*select DHCP. Instead I typed
                in an arbitrary TCP/IP adress.
                Gregor
              • j.hermsen@chello.nl
                Message 7 of 12 , Jun 1, 2001
                  I don't get the DHCP option because I don't have any NIC installed at that time.

                  John